Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve Damage in spine and 8 months pregnant

Hello, I've been dealing with trying to find out why I have pins and needles in my hands and feet, feel like fire runs through my veins, rock back and forth constantly, can't keep my leg still, and now I'm 8 months pregnant and about to give birth soon. I have been seeing a neurologist for a couple of years now, having test after test done, MRIs, EMG, and blood work. The latest neurologist did another EMG on me and found nerve damage in my spine a month a go. I have not been able to take any of the meds I was taking for the pain before I was pregnant, I was taking Baclofen. My OB/GYN has tried everything she can think of to try to help me with the pain, but nothing works doesn't even really touch the pain. My neurologist says he can't do anything more til after my baby is born. I'm okay with that... My question and concern is delivering my baby safely for both my baby and myself.
My question is due to have nerve damage in my spine pre existing to getting pregnant and not knowing exactly what the damage is from, how likely will I end up with more nerve damage giving birth vaginally? Should I go with a c-section? My OB/GYN doesn't seem to really address the nerve damage issue when I ask for her opinion. Plus I live out in the middle of no where in TX and my doctors and the hospital are 2 hours away from where my husband and I live.

I just need some advice or help in the right questions to ask my doctor to find out what is the safest delivery.
Thank you for any help you might be able to give.
Not sure what all is going on with my spine. Neurologist just knows I have nerve damage. I'm 8 months pregnant and can't do any further testing til after the baby is born.
advertisement

Comments

• I think anyone with back problems should talk to their ob about a c-section. I know not everyone agrees, & c-sections are not without risk to mom & baby, but I can't imagine all that pushing not seriously aggravating a back condition that already exists. I've read a few posts on here where it sounds like pushing created a back problem.

I had 2, not due to back issues, but due to breech & bleeding for the 2nd one. After my first, I thought to myself it was a blessing in disguise, because though my back issues were not as bad as they are now, I figured all that pushing would have seriously flared up my back.

A c-section is surgery, & all surgeries carry risk. Your ob is not an expert on nerve damage, but your neuro is. I would get his opinion, & then talk to your ob about the pros & cons of having one. Lots of people will tell you horror stories about them, but both mine were a breeze.

I think the women who have had problems are the ones who pushed for hours & hours, & then ended up with a "crash" one, where they had to be put completely out.

If it's planned, you will get an epidural & be completely awake. They will put a sheet up, so you can't see anything. Your husband will be at your head, & can peek over the sheet if he wants. If all goes well, he can cut the cord. Ask ahead of time if they can clean, weigh, all that stuff in the same room while the close you up. Not all hospitals will allow this, but you can try.

A couple of other advantages are no epediotemy & 2 extra weeks of maternity leave :)

Whatever way you go, I wish you the very best of luck, & keep in mind it doesn't matter how the baby comes out as long as you are both safe.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 766
    edited 04/17/2014 - 6:49 PM
    Hi there,

I agree with MSG about asking for a c section. I've had two and if I ever get pregnant again, that is the only way my OB will let me deliver.

Regarding your pins and needles, keep in mind that you are probably carrying around at least 30 or more extra pounds right now, and that can have an effect on your nerves, such as the sciatic nerve, for example. Maybe some of the pins and needles are from the way your baby is positioned in your womb and squishing your nerves? Just a thought.

Make sure you move slowly and carefully, especially at 8 months pregnant, as you've got tons of relaxin in your system right now. Relaxin is a hormone that makes your bones and ligaments looser than usual, as your body prepares itself to give birth. You don't want to risk any exacerbation of your previous injuries or risk a new one.

Best wishes for some relief, and congratulations on your soon-to-be-here little one!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • Planned c section all the way--- that's my two cents
  • I've talked to my neurologist, he thinks I should have a c-section, he's not sure if I'll want to go too long breast feeding because I won't be able to take any meds to help with all my pain. I see my OB tomorrow and am going to ask for a c-section. It's getting to the point that every time (not just once in a while but every time) I have a bowl movement, my lower spine cracks, I feel the pain and you can hear it. I would think if having a bowl movement does that, then what will labor do? I'm hoping my OB does try to sweep the subject under the carpet again like she did a couple of weeks ago when I asked about it. Thank you ladies so much for letting me know it's not wrong to ask for a c-section or a bad thing to have happen. I think a c-section is the safest option for both Rudy and I. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
    Not sure what all is going on with my spine. Neurologist just knows I have nerve damage. I'm 8 months pregnant and can't do any further testing til after the baby is born.
  • Yes, I think a c section is best and you need to have your spine doctor write a note to your OB if they don't agree. Back labor or just the trauma from a full labor and delivery can be bad for your existing condition. Let us know what happens!
  • advertisement
  • Or tries to sweep it under the rug, then politely ask her for a reccomedation for someone who she thinks would be willing to a planned one. You need a plan ASAP, if you are 36 weeks or thereabouts & you go into labor, they will not stop it. If your dr is not on board with a c, you could find yourself in a heap of trouble; the nurses will only do what the Dr has ordered.

As far as breast feeding goes, I'm not sure what pain meds have to do with it. There is no pain med in the world that will keep you conscious & take away the pain your nipples will feel until they toughen up!

You may do ok with a boppy or pillows. But if you it hurts you back to much, than don't do it, & DO NOT beat yourself up over it, or allow anyone else to make you feel guilty!

For some women, back issues or not it just doesn't work. I am big enough up top that I should be able to feed a whole nursery of babies, but I just couldn't produce enough milk. I tried everything, lactation classes, some special tea, & a medication that can cause instant depression. I was already pp, tried the med, & it was a disaster, depression city! My husband finally said enough was enough, & reminded me the baby needed a happy momma much more than she did breast milk, & that was that. That was 13 years ago, & she's beautiful, smart & healthy.

My other advice is re: a breast pump. Don't buy one because they are several hundred $ & not returnable once opened. Rent one for a week or 2 & see if it's going to work out for you first.

Good luck, & please do keep us posted. Wish there was a way to upload photos!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • So, my OB and neurologist talked, they think it's in the best interest of both Rudy and I that I have a c-section. Such a relief and a lot of stress has been lifted off of me. The neurologist is wanting to have an MRI done a month after Rudy is born on my neck and spine. There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I do hope that since I don't get to experience a vaginal birth that I'll get to breast feed. I'm so looking forward to being able to at least do that.

Thank you everyone for all the info and words of encouragement. I greatly appreciate it!!
  • I'm happy to hear this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
  • Either way that you chose, it has to be a huge relieve! So when's the big day?

I don't think breast feeding should be an issue with a c, I know plenty of women who did it, & I know some with a v who couldn't. Give it your best shot, & if it doesn't work out, don't beat yourself up!

Please keep us posted :)
  • We go the date May 13th!! I'm so excited!!! And yes it is a huge relief. For the first time I'm excited about giving birth and not stressing about all the things that could go wrong.
    Thank goodness!!!
advertisement