Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is severe pain from bone graph normal?

back01bback01 Posts: 14
edited 06/26/2014 - 2:17 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi I'm a 42 year old lady recovering from l5s1 fusion on April 8 2014. I also had partial Disectomy/lamenectomy in February 2013. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences bad pain from the bone graft? I had the graft taken from back of right side of pelvis. My hip constantly aches - especially if I do something dumb like tripping. I'm almost 3 months out from surgery & I'm worried this means my pelvis hasn't healed and then I think maybe my fusion isn't going to work either. How long did it take others to recover from bone graft? I would really appreciate some feedback as I'm quite worried. Thank you, Kath
advertisement

Comments

• Ongoing pain at the graft site is common......ice helps to ease the pain, but it can take a bit of time before it subsides.
    I won't describe what they do to remove the graft , but it is normal for this stage of your recovery to still experience pain for a bit. ou notice a reduction in the pain.
    Fusion takes some time for the bone graft to grow, and as long as you follow the post op restrictions and instructions, and don't smoke or take anti inflammatory meds, it should be fine.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/spinal-fusion-surgery-recovery-one-three-months-post-operation
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/spinal-fusion-surgery-recovery-three-months-and-after
  • back01bback01 Posts: 14
    edited 06/27/2014 - 5:19 AM
    Thank you Sandi, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. It's like a life raft being thrown getting some communication. I saw my PT today and we are just going to keep going along this path until my 4 month MRI. I have also the severe right leg shaking but we are hoping it's just fatigue and not something more sinister - he has been in contact with my surgeon. Cheers, Kath
  • advertisement
  • You're welcome hon.......It should get better as time goes on,.,.,I know that getting there is the tough part.. We all just want to wake up and not have pain, and we wind up with new and old pain while our bodies recuperate....what a process....