Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

possible infection around SCS battery

I had my permanent implant placed in February of this year. My battery has started hurting tremendously bad over the 4 days. I recently had gastric bypass surgery. One my incision has become really infected just over the last day. It became swollen like an abscess and popped. I am wondering if this linked to my scs hurting so bad. The whole area around my battery is swollen and really tender. I'm going to call doctor who is in charge of scs in the morning an inform them I have an infection. I called them yesterday and told them about the pain and he wants to see me next Tuesday. I wonder what kind of testing I am going to have to go thru. I am praying that they don't have to take it out and that they just give me a picc line like I had for my infection in my back. I say that because my scs works really well for my pain. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer
Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
advertisement

Comments

• that the infection from the gastric bypass has spread to the scs unit.........you need to see your doctor sooner, rather than later. What incision has popped open?
    I would contact both surgeons who did both surgeries and let them both know.
  • I seen the surgeon who did my gastric bypass yesterday, they immediately got me in. I had a laproscopic gastric bypass and one of the incisions from it has swollen up and producing thick green stuff. It was cleaned yesterday, but it is still draining the same stuff as yesterday. The bypass surgeon prescribed me 750mg of levaquin. The neurosurgeon in charge of my SCS knew I was having a lot of pain and swelling at the battery site. So they set me up an appointment for next Tuesday. That was before the incision started to show signs of infection. I called them this morning and informed them that I have an infection in my tummy. The neurosurgeon thinks the battery pain and the incision infection are related. He wants me to continue with the antibiotics and if I am still hurting on Monday morning, they will get me in for testing. Don't know what kind of testing they would do. I just don't to lose my stimulator because it works so well on my pain. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with which surgeon is which.

Jennifer
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • advertisement
  • Unfortunately with the surgical site infection; it is very likely it has spread to the SCS as well. Infections like to target any foreign objects in our body. Wishing you good luck with both.
    Jayseadee
  • I woke up feeling like I have the flu this morning and my whole lower back is hurting. So I went to my PCP, because all the other doctors were either in surgery or out of town and he thinks all my hardware may be infected. I get to go see the neurosurgeon tomorrow to see what he wants to do. Very scared.
  • I hope everything gets taken care of for you.
    Murraytscan@yahoo.com
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • advertisement
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 511
    edited 08/08/2014 - 1:38 PM
    The surgeon wasn't there to examine so his PA did. I have seen her only one other time. The first time I seen her she told me I was fine and it turned out I had a huge blown disc. So I figured I wouldn't get much from the visit today either. I was right, she came in and told me I was fine. She accused me of laying around to much, I work out 6 days a week. I have lost 60 pounds in two months. I don't think I am laying around to much. She didn't offer to order a scan or any blood work. I told my husband before she came in the room that she would tell me that I am alright. I have read so many bad reviews about this woman its pathetic. She said if I am not feeling better by Monday to call them. I was like so the nurses can get back to me 5 days later. I just feel like I was totally blown off. I have had a urinary tract infection, an infection in my gastric bypass incisions, and my scs has been hurting like you would not believe for the last week. I am afraid the infection has traveled to back and no one cares but my pcp. He is the only one who can't do anything about it, except give me more antibiotics.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 08/09/2014 - 4:50 AM
    then antibiotics are not going to eliminate the infection. Call the neurosurgeon's office again, and make an appointment to see the neurosurgeon, not the PA.
    If you get nowhere there, contact your primary and ask them to call the neurosurgeon's office, and if that fails, go to the ER if you continue to feel badly.

5.12 You agree that any information, opinions or other content provided by doctors or patients on Spine-health.com forums is for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
advertisement