Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar Herniated Disc Natural Recovery Time Estimate

advertisement

Comments

• I am sorry to hear Spiny_Malone, and yes this does seem like a safe place to talk and where people will understand. I think it is harder for those who haven't been through the same kind of experience to understand what it is like. But luckily this forum is here for lots of support from people. Feel free to talk anytime especially if you are having a hard day!

But yes we still should be lucky for what we have

And that's good Greg, I hope the MRI helps, at least giving you a starting point as to where to go next. If the leg is still bothering you, try going to a pain management clinic. They maybe can help.
  • So true! I know I wouldn't wear them forever anyway.. They can have a party!

I know life just is. It throws things at us an we still have to live.

I remember this quote from a movie. "get busy living or get busy dying". Most days it's the better choice. Some days we're allowed cause as you say.. It's a really hard go for some.
  • advertisement
  • My husband hurt his back almost 3 years ago. He had an MRI and we were referred to a Neurosurgeon, he had bulging discs with protrusions, as well as degenerative disease of the spine. Also stenosis. He was then referred to Pain Management and had a series of 3 spinal injections spaced 2 weeks apart. The injections helped him. He continued working. Unfortunately he got a blood clot in his leg about a month after injections. I believe he got the blood clot from work. He is afraid it was from the injections, which are a possibility. The injections really helped him for almost 2 years. Then he began having pain recurrences. Now he is in pain again. Not as bad as the first time but still in pain. He did Physical Therapy after the injections and the exercises helped. However, now the medicine only serves to make him sleepy and does not really take the pain away. He saw our Primary Doctor and had an MRI. The results were- you guessed it- bulging discs and compression on L3 exiting nerve root. We are waiting on an appointment to see a neurosurgeon. Has anyone had this experience? Can you tell us what we may be looking at for his immediate future? Thank you!
    Debra K. Bowden
  • Hang in there! Have you tried pain management injections? They really did help for a while with my husband's pain.
    Debra K. Bowden
  • I haven't tried the injections yet. I am a bit nervous to do so. I have been trying to cope with the pain vs just getting rid of it. I worry if I just find ways to get rid of it; I may do things that make it worse without knowing, which happened to me the first couple weeks. I started to take heavy duty pain killers and started a normal routine again. As soon as I got off them the pain was much, much worse. So I am just taking it easy for now and have decided being a lazy blob is apparently the best way I can heal. I just wish I knew how long until I can ease back into things.

Your poor husband! I honestly would put in an appointment with a neurosurgeon as soon as you can. For most you have to wait for a month or two. So even though you have no solid direction by the time you are ready to make a decision you won't have to wait as long for an appointment.

For me they said surgery was not an option, but I have heard from many people that were severally herniated it would help.

• advertisement
  • Smiles1SSmiles1 Posts: 22
    edited 09/29/2014 - 6:52 PM
    Malone your comment about the cane stroke a cord with me. I have had to use one on and off since my surgery and the looks I get. Yes, I'm using a cane, no I'm not the right aged person to be using one... Uggg and now I know what handicap people go through everyday of their lives. Handicap accessibility in some places sucks. Also who designed fitting rooms in stores with the handicap stall all the way in the back? Yes, lets make the person in the wheelchair/walker/cane have to go further then they have too. It sucks being younger and having all these, and I'm not trying to ageest, but #oldpeopleproblems... If anyone wants to talk surgery or injections I'm your girl. Raises hand and I been through it all. By the way the injections were easy. They will numb your skin with a local.
  • The best is for my AFO fitting it's right at the very furthest back of the hospital. If you can get to them then you've passed the test to get outfitted for a foot/leg brace!
  • Hello All! Thank you all for your posts. I am a relatively healthy 34 yo (regular sport climber and yogi) who just had my second bulging-disc episode, which has laid me up for the last week. Although it has been incredibly painful and difficult, I have had renewed hope after reading the various posts here.
    In early November, I began using a 9mm lift in my left shoe again. It had been several years (at least 10) since my chiro diagnosed a leg length discrepancy (he never said whether it was functional or structural, a red flag I should have noticed immediately, but I knew nothing except that I had been in pain walking since I was about 20yo and I could see that my hips were slightly diff heights, which struck me as odd at the time) . He gave me a lift and when I began to use it per his prescription, the pain only worsened, so I stopped using it and for years simply used ibuprofen and stretching to alleviate the pain even though my hips were still uneven.
    By the time I was 28, I'd had another bout of sciatica and went to a new chiro where I lived. Some of the therapies helped a little (electro therapy, some traction). I begged for a referral for an MRI from this and another chiro, but neither would give me one. Still not sure why.
    Since then, I've learned how to manage occasional pain and my body accommodated for the unevenness in my hips. I trained by climbing, doing various types of yoga, and running/jogging. But over the last year, my hips have been increasingly uneven. At the beginning of November, I decided to give the lift another try. I believe this was a grave mistake.
    I wore it any time I was standing upright. I wore it at the climbing gym. I even wore it in the heel of an ankle brace during yoga. At first, it was great. I felt relief on my aggravated hip (opposite leg than one with lift) and my hips appeared somewhat more evened out.
    But then I began to have increasing but bearable pain. I thought I could tough it out. By last week, I could hardly stand up without excruciating pain emanating from my sacral region and down my right leg (nonlift leg). I decided to quit using the lift, obviously, but it was already too late. I believe I reaggravated my hip/sciatica problem to the point where I may have allowed a bulge (or herniation - God I hope not) in one of my discs very low on my spine. I've been recovering since Tuesday using ice, rest, and a sh load of ibuprofen. Today is Saturday and I finally could get out of bed this morning without crying or having paralyzing back spasms (which were happening regularly in the last week). I can walk, slowly, now but I haven't been out of the house since Tuesday, because I am afraid that I may try to move faster than my body is able to handle and reinjure myself.
    Sorry for the extremely long post - I feel better having voiced my story here AND I want to warn anyone to only use orthotics with EXTREME caution.

A few posters on this thread have mentioned possible recovery time for various spine issues here: I am wondering how long it might be for my (apparent) bulge to subside enough so that I will at least be able to go to the store and walk around my block? I realize that it may be as many as 1-6 months before I could plan to return to regular light exercise, but can anyone give me an idea of how long it may take for the initial intense pain to subside?

Thanks so much for reading my story and questions.

Love to all who also suffer from debilitating back pain.
    Kay J
  • I was just browsing the web and came across your story. It sounds so similar to mine. This was written a few months ago so I was just curious to know if you've had any relief?
  • walk walk walk and doing a lot of stretches really helps the pain you have to walk every day now if you feeling pain going down your leg into your foot pins and needles I recommend you to get an ace bandage and wrap your leg from your knee downto your ankle. If your toes or foot start to swelltake the ace bandage off until it goes to normal then put it back on immediately do this for two weeks and that pain in your leg maybe your calf muscle all the way down to your feet will be gone I did it for two weeks I tried everything from massage to ointments and I realized that there was no bloodflow getting down tomy feet so what did I have to lose. Don't be stupid like me and think because you're pain-free that you're healed you were not I have thrown out my desk three times this is the last I am not wonder woman anymoreand I have to learn to ask just thought I'd pass my knowledge to you may the force be with you LOL
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.