Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Acupuncture

Comments

• I have been going for treatments since October and I am having good luck with it. I had a real bad flare back then and couldn't move as the pain was awful. My Dr. put me on Neurontin, Percocet, and Flexeril, but I still couldn't move (he told me I will need fusion surgery). I was bed ridden for a month when a friend gave me the name of the woman I go to now (I had tried a couple others in the past with no results). She is AWESOME (She was also a Dr. in China). Since I have been going to her I got off all pain meds (just took Advil till stomach gave out). I go every week for my treatment, and she just uses a few needles around my L5-S1 area along with needles in my butt and down the back of my leg (following the sciatic nerve)and she does cupping over the L5-S1 area too. I know she cannot cure my problems and they are still there, but she has been able to keep my sciatic pain in check so far.
    I do know that the most important thing is to find a good acupuncturist. A couple ones I went to in the past made gave me no relief or made the pain worse.
  • I first had accupuncture 15+ years ago when I initially suffered a bulged disc @ L4-L5. Notice that there was "something happening", but never really did wind up being worth the $$$ I paid into it.

Last year, after my initial flare up with back pain again, I went back to an acupuncturist while living in Japan. He was incredibly intuitive, and immediately told me something "was broken", that he couldn't fix (although he could assist with some of the secondary issues). He was right, I wound up having a bad herniation at L5-S1 that was diagnosed a few weeks later. I continued to go to him up to surgery, and several months later when the resdiual radiculopathy reared it's ugly head. His approach was very holistic, using accupuncture and moxibustion to complement the accupuncture itself. He also too the time to educate me on my "whole life issue", from how I sat in the computer chair, to body positioning, to as host of other issues. His rates were incredibly affordable (~$35 US), and I really enjoyed the personalize atmostphere. While I never walked away "cured", there was always a mental sense of relief (if nothing else). Really missed that "connection".

Since returning to the US in May, I looked into several acupuncturist here, but there were so many (ironically) that it was essentially "enee meenee minee moe" in making a selection. Saw one once, but it was too far of a drive. Found another closer to me, whom I like, and is actually a former PM doctor who "crossed over" to traditional medicine. I've been to her 3 or 4 times so far, but her rates are extrememly high for me to pay "out of pocket" ($125 initial, $85 for follow ups) and I just haven't gotten the same sense of connection (or relief) out of it so far. Not sure if that's a function of my body slowly deteriorating, or if external variables are playing a part.

That said, I'm a firm believer in giving acupuncture a chance, as there is much Western medicine has to learn from non-invasive, holistic technics. Just my 2-cent's worth....

Alan
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    I never had treatments that close together. The doctor that was giving mine, wanted me to space it out at least 5 days.
    I had those treatments in 3 of the spinal areas (cervical, thoracic and lumbar). It helped but did nothing for my thoracic problems.
    I did stop going for acupuncture treatments because there were totally out of pocket ($95/session) and I was having
    Deep Tissue Massage Therapy , also out of pocket ($85/session)
    so I had to pick on and I stayed with Deep Tissue Massage, since that provided me more relief
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences