Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI of the Lumbar Spine

ema22eema22 Posts: 2
edited 01/01/2015 - 9:18 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone. I'm 24 and I have been struggling with lower back pain for about a year and honestly I don't know what caused it. I think it came from excessive exercising. I had an MRI done a few weeks ago but my doctor didn't explain to me widely and she just referred me for physical therapy. I wish someone could explain to me what's wrong with my back, I'm not able to understand the results. I'm scared it might be something permanent.

The report says:

Findings: Saggital images disclose normal lordotic curve. Spinal alignment is intact. There is no evidence of fracture. Bone signal characteristics appear unremarkable. Disc spaces are preserved. There is slightly reduced signal at L4-L5 and L5-S1 consistent with the presence of early degenerative disc disease.

Axial image obtained at the level of L1-L2 reveals no evidence of disc herniation or other significant abnormalities.

Axial image obtained at the level of L2-L3 also reveals no evidence of disc herniation or other significant abnormality.

Axial image obtained at the level of L3-L4 reveals minimal uniform disc bulge deformity.

Axial image obtained at the level of L4-L5 reveals a prominent central to left-sided disc herniation with extrusion of disc material between the thecal sac and the left facet joints which considerably encroaches upon the left aspect of the thecal sac and encroaches upon the left neural foramina.

Axial image obtained at the level of L5-S1 reveals a central to right sided disc herniation.

IMPRESSION:
1. Prominent central to left-sided disc herniation is seen at the level of L4-L5 with extrusion of disc material between the thecal sac and medial aspect of the facet joint of the left side.
2. Central to ride-sided disc herniation at L5-S1.
3.Evidence of early degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 and L5-S1. The facet joints are grossly intact.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    there is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to interpret an mri.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/mri-reports-why-we-cant-advise

welcome message

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Sometime your therapist can help you understand better than a physician. If they can not, you probably just want to give a call in and explain that you did not understand fully the results of your scan and express your concerns.
  • advertisement
  • Thank you. I scheduled myself an appointment with the therapist and am looking forward to see what can be done.
  • My pt was great at explaining things to me in easy to understand terms. I agree with RunnerHKT, if you're in doubt ring or go back to your dr & ask for a full explanation even if it includes pointing to your MRI pics as it's explained. If all else fails maybe you could see a surgeon just to explain it all, seeing as it's their lively hood & they see MRI scans all the time.

Good luck,
    Veronica
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Use it as a test for good physio
  • advertisement
advertisement