Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Depression

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,288
    edited 02/03/2015 - 6:29 AM
    without something really being done.

There are only a very small, very small very small percentage of the total population that surgery can not help.

There may be many doctors who say surgery wont help, based on their opinion or surgical skills. So dont continue to
    sit in pain without taking the next step. Second or third opinions are always in order when things come to a standstill.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hello, I'm Kim Marie and this is a first for me. I'm 50 years old and last May I hurt my back moving boxes and furniture at home. Ten years ago I did have surgery on my neck. S/P Cervical discectomy C3-4 & C6-7. Never had any pain or problems before surgery. It was after surgery that the problems began in my neck and shoulder. I had a deck job working on computers and after a few years could no longer work full time. I was fortunate in that I was able to find a part time job doing the same thing. After hurting my back I had an MRI done and it demonstrates C6-C7 spondylitic spurring to the left side, T5-T6 small midline disc herniation, T7-T8 small left paracentral disc herniation, T9-T10 level right paracentral disc herniation indenting the thecal sac touching the spinal cord. L1-2 level demonstrates degenerative disc, 2-3 level demonstrates minor annular bulging, L4-5 level demonstrates a broad based central disc herniation. An EMG further show a pinched nerve on L4-L5.
    I am in constant pain in my lower back and neck/shoulder. Walking, sitting and most activities cause me pain. Heat is the only relief that helps. If I try to do anything the pain gets so bad and my left leg gets kind of numb and very heavy making walking difficult . Two neurosurgeon have said no surgery is needed and will not help my symptoms. They use words like degenerative disc disease, scoliotic spinal deformity and even fibromyalgia. I am on 600mg of Gabapentin 3 times a day, 15mg Morphine 2 times a day and Hydrocodon 3 times a day as needed. This does help the pain but I am a zombie and can't really function. I certainly can not work with all this medicine. The neurosurgeon recommended the Morphine pain pump but I can not find a doctor who will maintain it and accept my insurance.
    I truly can not work and am disputing my long term disability.
    I don't understand how surgery can not help. If a disc is herniated and causing a pinched nerve. I don't want surgery. Now the doctor is recommending a Spinal Simulator.
    I am so scared thinking this is my life, I can do nothing. The most painful aspect of this ordeal is not being able to sit and play with my grandchildren.
    The loss of income, the second year of no raise increase for my husband, 150.00 less a month due to benefits increasing. We are struggling with the co pays for appointments.
    I am just so depressed and can't find away out. I have OCD and have truly been struggling. I need to organize and do things but I honestly can't. Walking, sitting, lifting,. If I vacuum or dust I am in so much pain that takes a few days of absolutely doing nothing to some what recover.
    Then the guilt and feeling selfish that there are so many other people out their that have it so much worse then me and are living their lives and doing great things.
    You hear things like Buck up, shake it off, quit your pity party, be thankful for what you have. It's true on so many levels but difficult to do.
    I feel lost and helpless and unable to at this point to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I'm nervous and scared about the Spinal Simulator, both financial and results.
    Well that's all for now. Thanks for listening.
  • advertisement
  • KEENSLKKEENSL Posts: 2
    edited 02/08/2015 - 3:22 PM
    I agree with the comments related to chronic pain/depression. Four months after my spinal fusion surgery, while at my desk working, I had the subconscious thought "I'm going to get up now and leave this pain, because I've had enough!" to then have reality hit...wait, I can't leave. I have to continue to learn to cope. It is tough. Especially while going through marital issues and other family drama. Thank God I have found peace from my relationship with Him. Otherwise, I don't know where I'd be...really. Thank you for posting about this topic.
    Sheri Keen
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 236
    Been now a long 3-1/2 months from a 7 level fusion on my thorascic spine. A 11" scar on the back to go with it. Was very active and strong before this. At 50 I never said no. Now I cant is my new word. To taking a 2 hr car ride to a friends camp, cant sit that long in a car. To rolling out of bed to the ground on all fours, because I cant just cant do no other way. Cant walk long at the mall with wife, have to sit down then she will say why did you come? Cooking is not easy, standing with a slight bend cutting up stuff, cant. People saying let me do that for you, you cant do that. I can bearly turn to wipe my a** or put my shoes on. People really dont belive you that the pain can be this bad or you have to take it easy. Family members even say it still hurts you? when you going back to work? Work..? Im a carpenter, Trust me you need a strong back. I was a man that could do anything, And now everything stops. Sit in a chair because my back says you cant do that, Doc said 3-6 and you will good as new. Ha, Good as new? I work hard 48 hours a week. Im not paid to take it easy, or take a break and sit for awile. This is one operation that will make you stop your life. I do know there are many people in wheelchairs, Paralyzed. I was lucky from my fall at work. I was out going, fun, energetic. Have a boat and jet ski I look at and wounder if I will be able to do the stuff with it that i did. Now when I get the chance to go out, its like go without me. Because I cant. Have to think what type of seat will i sit on. How long will I be on my feet. Just a hassle. Yes, im starting to get depressed, scared of the unknown? If i can return to my old job. Be the person I was before. This is not me. i know my body. I had shoulder surgery, broke a few bones, had many stitches. And some stuff never had a doctor look at. This is not the same. I sit now in my chair, Its all quiet here, and look at the walls, and think?? what will become of me? Im loseing money every month, You dont get rich on WC. My job, my life. Used to be glad to see March come, Work in the yard, Plant flowers, boating season starting. Wont be the same. I dont think I will be ever. Another weekend is coming, No dancing or bowling again.
    Greg fisher
  • I just wanted to change this post...

I was frustrated with the depression posting in that I cant do anything because of my depression... I got on here Friday and when I started reading some of this these stories they seemed positive and nothing like what I'm going through at all. However after a few days I realized how paralyzing my condition has become. I have to do something about this and although working with Dr's on all levels perhaps sometime a pill is not the answer. I had a positive Saturday and a positive Sunday followed up by an action Monday. I'm not a gym person anymore but I've decided that getting up early and working out during off peak hours would be best for me. Because of my back pain I only walk and lift light weights or rather machines and watching everyone else it looks like I just do not belong there foolish perhaps but that's how I feel. Still I wanted to correct my post from Friday, talking about the problem without a solution is just a problem.

I got up early Saturday morning and I did not linger around the house . I got in the shower ASAP, took my med's, had a protein drink, a coffee and got out of the house as soon as possible and did this on both days. Both days I had very little back pain and very little depression. Today was more of the same and although I'm disabled and can not resume normal full time work I've decided to look for part time work. With that I'm looking into a two year college and I'm thinking and feeling this may be best. Considering the level of depression and anxiety this will probably be a challenge but I do not see any other choice. I once loved to metal detect and years ago would have loved to do this full time, although the bending may prove challenging here is my chance to do this full time.

Anyone suffering from depression and anxiety because of pain, if your going through what I'm going through God Bless us all. This is horrible but to do nothing is to do just that suffer.. Sorry for the post I'm glad I got the chance to correct it....
  • advertisement
  • I am so glad that I found this forum. I have just made my first post in another area (not sure exactly where as I'm very new to "forums"). I am 55, and up until the back pain "mess" felt "young". This has made me feel frail and old. Depressed. Yes. Very.
    I'm only 4 weeks post-op and begin PT tomorrow. I think that this forum is going to be a life saver for me.
advertisement