Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dynesys used AT L5/S1? Dynesys at multiple vertebrae?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone have Dynesys at L5/S1 or Dynesys installed at more than one place?

I've seen a few posts here and elsewhere about folks who have had the Dynesys flexible device used above L5 (e.g., at L4/L5), at least some (all?) of them along with a rigid fusion (e.g., at L5/S1), but I haven't found anything about Dynesys being used AT L5/S1 instead of rigid fusion there. I didn't see anything on the Dynesys Web site about it not being appropriate at that location; in fact, they mention sacral region a few times.

Any personal experience with this or knowledge about suitability of Dynesys at L5/S1?
advertisement

Comments

• Heidi,

I just had a mixed fusion using Dynesys on 7/10. By that I mean my NS used Dynesys at L5/S1 to stabilize and prevent further problems at that level. At L4/L5 he used Dynesys and also added my bone for fusion. My incision literally runs from the top of my rear end "crack" (what is the correct anatomical name for this lol?) and up 5". I am doing quite well. I realize it is very early on for me, but I thought I'd let ya know I'd had this done. I go for my first post-op X-rays next week so I'll get a look-see at it. So far I am very pleased. After reading your sig line it sounds like you have even more going on than I did. My spondy was a grade 1-2(on flexion)w/ bi-lat pars. I also suffered w/ the sciatica and radiculopathy. I would say the buzzy burning "nervy" pain was/is 85-90% GONE. It was when I woke in recovery. My NS was not sure the surgery would help in those areas because so much time had passed. I let it go on too long. But so far so good. I am very excited! I *might* try to figure out how to upload my x-ray pics when I get them.

Just be sure to do all your homework. Ask tons of questions and I'm sure you and your doctor(s) will make the decision that fits you best.

good luck an let us know how you do with what ever you end up doing.

Kelly Jo
  • Heidi,
    My condition for years was Spondylolisthesis and sever stenosis. I basically have a spine with no room for the nerves. Nothing really affected me until I was in my late 50's. I had Dynesys installed 3 years ago (Sept '05) when I was 62 at S1/L5, L5/L4 and L4/L3 along with a full laminectomy on each of the vertebra. This was the first 3-level Dynesys my NS did, but assured me that I was a good candidate. The overriding consideration was that it is reversible, meaning that if fusion was necessary in the future it could be done selectively. My NS did think that I would require some fusion in the coming years if the condition got worse. In any case, the surgery was a limited success in that I was actually back to work in 2 weeks (desk job) and pain free for up to 6 months. Then pain started creeping in, but not anywhere as severe as that which required surgery. More of a minor to medium irritation. I could walk up to 3 miles and swim, but between 1 and 2 years I was a bit worse and I could only do the exercises sporadically. Otherwise, life was pretty much normal. After 2 years I starting getting sever pain in the left thigh to the point that I could not stand for more that a few minutes and the leg would give out. This required a decompression at L3 which completely eliminated the thigh pain and I was back to "normal". Now at 3 years I am experiencing considerable pain in the lower back at the points of the Dynesys and I don't know what is causing it yet. I have good days and bad days, but not to the point of pain killers and I can walk and swim, etc. but only on the good days.

I wish you good luck. It sounds to me that you have little choice.

R
  • advertisement
  • hi i have had dynesys as you have mentioned,was successful ,i had 8 screws in total and all went well that was in feb 2005,however i am now losing sensation in my left leg and groin,doctor says it may get worse quickly and could be additional wear being accellerated on either side of my surgery,cant find any info on the long term life of this surgery or life expectancy,hope all is well :H ;)
  • I have dynesys at L3-S1 levels... 8 screws... Its been almost a year and half and I too have numbness in a DIFFERENT leg that pre-op... its getting worse too. Not fun...

I personally dont think this is suppose to be a permanent surgery... The Dr should have told you that,,, before I did it, I knew there was a 50% chance of having it taken out...

Am waiting on auth from insurance company to have mine removed.
  • I have.

Well, depending on the individual md's nomenclature -- some call mine L3/4,4/5, some call it L4/5,5/S1. So, yes.

I had mine for disc pain. I had it 13 months ago.

So sorry, but I am just as bad, actually worse. I have all of my original pain - 100% of it. Plus, I have NOT recovered from the trauma of the surgery. I NEVER had tightness or pain that goes up to the middle/upper back. I'm tight all over when I sleep, my husband has to roll me over, and I can't sit on the toilet in the mornings -- still having my kids put my socks on me when I wake up.

So, that's it -- all of my original pain, plus new pain, plus stiffness and tightness I never knew were possible. Sorry to tell you -- but I want you to know.

YOU will do great. Good luck!!
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I am recovering from Dynesys at L4, L5, S1 to 'fix' spinal abnormalities (congenital), DDD and a disc tear. I had problems immediately following surgery which resulted in a 2nd op 3 days later. Not the norm, just sheer bad luck!!! My recovery has been problematic but I was warned by my surgeon that it would be "no picnic" (his words) and that it could take up to 12 months til optimum recovery. I'm now doing regular hydro and back circuits on the NHS - it's hard and it's painful but all part of the process I guess.

I started a Dynesys group up on Facebook to share experiences, which now has 24 members al of whom have had or are having this surgery. Please feel free to join the group (FB is free) and read some of our stories - which are a mixed bag of success & failure! >:D<
  • inafix said:
    Heidi,

I just had a mixed fusion using Dynesys on 7/10. By that I mean my NS used Dynesys at L5/S1 to stabilize and prevent further problems at that level. At L4/L5 he used Dynesys and also added my bone for fusion. My incision literally runs from the top of my rear end "crack" (what is the correct anatomical name for this lol?) and up 5". I am doing quite well. I realize it is very early on for me, but I thought I'd let ya know I'd had this done. I go for my first post-op X-rays next week so I'll get a look-see at it. So far I am very pleased. After reading your sig line it sounds like you have even more going on than I did. My spondy was a grade 1-2(on flexion)w/ bi-lat pars.
    I'm looking at either a Dynesys or IsoBar, and have very similar condition to yourself, with the bi-lat pars.
    My second-opinion surgeon said no way for the flexible stabilization due to my pars, but I'm still inclined to try this option before fusing.
    I'm a 150+ mi/week cyclist and skier, so I'm trying to retain as much mobility as possible here and avoid beating on that next disc up.

Any comments on your status at this point?

TIA
  • Hi I had the Dynesys system put in just 11 days ago & my legs butt & back has never felt this good. Mine was at L 4/5 although when I go to have my 30 stitches removed I will know more. My surgeon did inform me that he could only get my spine about 50% straightened.
    I so far am very pleased with it. Of course it's very early in my recovery, I plan to keep an update here on this forum.
    I had a lot of arthritis removed during surgery & had spinal stenosis & DDD along with spondy. Good luck to you.

Janis
  • I had DYNESYS L4-5, L5-S1 with Cages Jan 12 2009 and the day after the surgery i was walking with a walker, 3 days later a cane!other then surgery site pain i was pain free in a month. it is now 4 months post op and im starting to get some of my old sciatica back. Although my overall pain is much lower I am worried the pain is slowly creeping back up on me. i dont have the numbness in the legs i was getting preOp. So for now I will just roll with the punches and hope that therapy will get me back to how i felt a month out.Doc is telling me some of the issues i am having could be scar tissue or muscular inflammation due to my therapy getting more intense. I am up to 30 min of cardio to help knock off some of this weight i gained over the last 3 yrs preop. its a lil painful but im pushing threw it!

I saw my 1st XRAY since the surgery yesterday. and its strange to see the screws (6total) and no other hardware!? i cant see the cages other then little dots? I guess thats just the bone growing around the cage? and you cant see the spacers or the cords.

Best of luck. so far I feel im a success story. as long as im not falling down from the pain im doing much better. the other stuff i have delt with for nearly 12 yrs on and off.
    OH i forgot to tell everyone im almost Norcotic free. i did stop for a month but it got to bad and i needed it for my therapy sessions. DONT stop taking your antinflammatory and muscle relaxers though.. I finally was able to notice a difference when i was on meds and off. Before my surgery it didnt matter how much meds i took nothing helped. Made no difference on or off. i feel the difference now so again that is another plus. VERY OPTIMISTIC!
advertisement