Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Another teen car crash statistic

I got in a severe car crash about 6 weeks ago, during which the drivers side of my Ford F-150 collided with a very larger tree at 70mph. I sustained horrible injuries, including 17 fractures, a lacerated spleen, bleeding in my lungs, a collapsed lung, and several third degree burns. 

I am now wheelchair bound, cannot walk even a single step, and need my mom (who's a very busy physician) to help me with lots of things encountered in daily life that I never even needed help with as a small child. My orthopedic surgeon said that lot of my meds, when tested on teenagers such as myself, showed results of severe depression, attempted suicide, etc., so that may be at fault, but ever since I got out of the hospital I'm afraid that my mom is starting to resent me for all of the basic things I need help with. I always say please and thank you and am very polite and verbally appreciative, but I just still feel like she resents the fact that helping me wastes her valuable time. 

Does anyone have experience with needing help from others and tips for making them not resent you for your helplessness?

Thanks guys 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello DayCrow.......
    You certainly have the physical and emotion impact on your every day life. Gosh, I inow how difficult that can be.
    Your choice of  sincerely being kind to the caregiver goes a long way!
    At a point in my life when I was the caregiver, even having my hand held a little longer with the thank you I received with little longer eye contact, went quite a way with me also.

Curious what was cause of crash? Maybe that  is on your mom's mind.
    If you are or were at all depressed and or suicidal, or if possibility that it could be currently on your mind, that may weigh heavy on mom's mind, also.

Have the two of you had a serious discussion about the crash and your emotional state?
    Or ask you mom about how she is handling the extra work and interruption into her life?
    How is she doing physicly? And emotionally? with the change to lifestyle?

Your mother being, even with being one of the most respected professionals, she has a mother's heart first, and always. It is very difficult to watch someone you love suffering, esp your child.
    I have that mother's heart and it is a large place filled with almost every emotion, and love and concern taking up much space!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• DayCrowDDayCrow North CarolinaPosts: 12
    Thanks for that insight, I'll try just a little more length of personal contact to show sincerity. 

I have no history of any sort of depression/ suicidal tendencies/ thoughts of self harm pre accident, and I wouldn't really call how I feel now something as severe as "depression" as much as I'm just discouraged. I wasn't drinking or on drugs or out partying or texting; I was just on the way to work, at midnight, after a power nap between another job and the one to which I was headed. 

During the second in which I looked down at my gps to see the number of miles until my next turn, my truck veered undetectably to the right the three feet between my right tires and the edge of the road. I panicked upon hearing my tires hit the edge and I yanked my wheel left, over correcting, and sending my truck into a full on tailspin down the hill next to the highway. It was a one car accident, thank god. 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I'm very glad for the description of the crash...please understand, I mean that you were not depressed or suicial...
    no way glad that you are suffering now.
    I for one would be interested on how some sit down honest conversations with your mom about her life now, how discussions go. I hope you both to feel better that way, as you may be in error with picking up resentment from mom.
    and may feel badly for things she is not thinking.

And please keep us posted with how you are doing, feeling, anything. We here to support you!
    You said you are in a wheelchair unable to take a step.
    Has doctor given you a prognosis on your future abilities?

Not always, but chronic pain conditions, esp when we are so limited or restricted in certain activities...can often times make us feel very alone, among other things.
    Please know you've come to an understanding place.
    And you are not alone!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• DayCrowDDayCrow North CarolinaPosts: 12
    I should be able to bear weight starting in 4-6 weeks and then start the long slow process you get my strength back after several months off of my legs. Thanks so much for everything!!!
  • DayCrow...unfortunately, I really don't have much advice for you, but I just want to wish you the best during your recovery.  I'm sure it's overwhelming, but I know that you have it in you to come back better than ever

...good luck with your recovery!

• advertisement
advertisement