Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

L4/L5 disc extrusion

Hi everyone. My problems started last September, started to notice right leg pain when walking, lower back was getting really sore and stiff when getting up for work, didn't really bother me then, gradually getting worse I started going to my gp, who said it was sciatica and prescribed me naproxen and Co codamol, the pills didn't do anything for me, about a week later the pain was unbearable, pain down back of right leg, outside of right calf also numb, big toe numb and unbearable pins and needless, by now I was off work, back to gp who just gave me more pills, I asked him about maybe sending me for a mri,  but I was told that unfortunately he couldn't do that, he said the best he could do was send me to physio, apparently gp's can't send you for an mri?, I went straight from there and joined another surgery, the gp there was great and very understanding, and refered me for an mri straight away. Christmas was the worst time of my life, couldn't even play with my little girl because by now I was in total agony, nothing was touching me, I was on mst twice a day, oramorph, gabapentin, nothing was working,  Had my mri in January, this is what they found, L4/L5 large right paramedics and lateral recess disc extrusion with compression of the theca and the traversing right L5 nerve root, there is no stenosis, we are now in may and and ive been off work six months, I've tried to keep as active as I can, I find it impossible to stand up straight for more than 5 mins, my walking distance has not improved in six months, 20 metres then I need to stop, my lower back is so stiff, outside of calf and top of foot still numb, I must add that I had a nerve root injection at the end of Feb, pain was gone for about 3 hours then came back with a vengeance, saw the consultant last week and she's put me forward to see a surgeon for a micro discectomy, I'm really afraid to have this operation,  I've started to see a chiropractors to see if they can help, sorry if what I've wrote is a little mixed up as I'm in agony, I would love to hear some success stories instead of horror stories,  thanks
advertisement

Comments

• rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    Hello chris39 i know exactly how u feel. Im 29 years old i have been a welder since i was 16 building and rebuilding mining equipment.  I had my first disc herniation in 2014 at l4/l5 left leg pain and numbness i had to wait on work comp to deny my claim, as it happened at work, before i could have a micro d and just put it on my insurance so the whole time i had to keep going to work. After the surgery i felt great i had immediate relief and slept all night every night right up till it herniated again in 2015. The second time everything was the same as the first and i thought it was all done and over with the surgery went great , had immediate relief again and after i went back to work i thought wow im glad thats all behind me now! Well i was wrong! Because in December of last year it happened a third time! I am now off work, i had a tlif fusion at l4/l5 and i am slowly begining to feel better. It all just depends on the individual. There are 2 guys i work with that have also had microdiscectomy/laminectomy and have never had another problem 10 + years out. Myself i was not that lucky and i was my orthopedic surgeons first patient that has had a true recurrent disc herniation.  So like i said it all just depends on the individual, but the microdiscectomy in my opinion was an absolute cake walk i dont think you have anything to worry about you'll be back to yourself in no time! As for the chiropractor,  after having the 3 surgeries i wouldnt dream of letting them crack my back! Lol 
  • Welcome Chris.
    The Chriropracter I was going to had used really conservative treatments.
    Heat,TENS some Massage and other modalitys.
    By agreement, we left the major adjustments alone,
    I felt almost human again after my muscles loosened up.
    But no adjusting my Spine by manipulation!
    Good luck and I am hoping you find the relief you need!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • chris39cchris39 South Wales Posts: 2
    Hi rkey and William garza and thanks for replying.  Sorry to hear about you having to have a fusion rkey, I have read that your prone for the disc to re herniate after surgery due to there being a hole left in the disc after the procedure that can't heal because the disc has no blood supply? Don't know if this is right. Hope you get there! Hi William garza, I've been to chiropractors three times now,  going back tomorrow,  not doing any manipulation or back cracking, just concentrating on deep tissue massage because my muscles in my lower back, hip and buttock are solid, so just t trying to free them up then hopefully that will help me with walking, I've been taking a muscle relaxant called methocarbamol but these don't do much to relax my muscles. If I could just walk and get around that would mean the world to me right now, look forward to hearing from you
  • Ahhhh
    Deep tissue massage..a little painfull at first untill i got used to it.
    It was as close to normal sometimes as I could feel.
    That medication had the same effect on me. None..but thats part of my own chemistry being chemistry.

I was lucky to have a Primary care,a Pain Managment. Physician team and a Chiropracter.
    Heat,ice, massage....

I hope you find a measure of comfort, this isnt an easy row to hoe.

Its not easy having constant Pain..

Acute!. When it wants to lay you out.right now.
    And then the deep ache of chronic.

Above all..be gentle with yourself as my Esteemed Friend John would say.
    Thats the sad,hard part
    Wanting to heal up..NOW!!!
    But not happening..then pushing harder to heal..its a frustrating cycle.

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    Thats what i would think too after one herniation a person is more likely to herniate again but the ortho surgeon said there was like 6 to 8 percent chance that it would happen again if thats the case im just very unlucky!!! lol
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello chris39!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement