Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Its never easy, no longer how long you have been at it

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521
I think almost everyone that knows me, knows about my long surgical history.   And you would also know that I have maintained a very positive attitude and good outlook on the entire situation.

I have had help
  1. Supportive Family
  2. Excellent doctors
  3. Various medications
  4. A degree of alcohol
Yes, I did say alcohol.  I realize that while you are on pain medications, alcohol should be avoided.  Over the years, I have convinced myself that because my body has adjusted to all the medications, alcohol has little impact.

Little is the key.  I always try to maintain that.  My physiatrist realizes that after 30+ years in dealing with chronic pain, there is a level of depression that sets in and many times alcohol helps in a degree of relaxation.    But she will also say, thats fine with 1 glass of wine a night.  But honestly, there have been times, when I've exceeded that.   At least I know that I dont need it, I just enjoy it ( again, many of you will realize my background and love for great wine, craft beers, craft whiskeys and special food )

But I also know that because of all these years, chronic pain has worn me down a bit.    My recent decompression surgery (03/21/16) was semi-urgent to correct a severe stenosis problem along with some bladder problems.  My first 3 weeks post surgery I was doing pretty good.  However, since then its been a slipper slope.  I have lots of nerve pain, which the surgeon says is normal based on the amount of compressed nerves I had.  This, I know will take time to heal.  I am also very unstable on my feet, and have fallen about a half a dozen times since surgery.    Based on all of this, my physiatrist and I both agree that seeing a professional chronic pain counselor may benefit.   I know how to deal with chronic pain and life situations, but I think from time to time, we could all use a tune-up.

This doesnt change my outlook or positive attitude.  I still know I can beat anything and will succeed.  

But in case there are some of you out there that feel like you slipped a bit, remember you are never alone and it is normal for anyone who has to deal with chronic pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear this Dilauro and hope the chronic pain counsellor is able to refresh or add some tips.

I also have to agree about alcohol and chronic pain and sleep deprivation etc.  If I have had numerous nights with very little sleep, sometimes due to certain meds, I will have a couple of glasses of wine and drop the night dose of that med to prevent respiratory problems.  I will get some much needed sleep. Sometimes I suffer more pain the next day from lack of movement in the night but I know sleep is an important factor and I lose far too much of it sadly.

thanks to you and others we are not alone thanks to this forum and neither are you.  Your hard work helps many people and I hope you know you have our support as well

Wishing you speedy progress
    AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hey Ron!
    I too am sorry this has been a rough recovery for you.
    Even just all the unexpected falls would have me hyper vigilant and all wound up, let alone the post op pain, etc...

I think you are very wise about the professional chronic pain counselor...and how you said tune up from time to time.
    That kind of specialty counselor helped me beyond my expectations.
    It took me awhile to realize they even existed..then time to find one.

With my experience, she gave me paperwork...that I still refer to from time to time.
    She gave me SO much feedback....it was intense....like an hour with her was like a month with my previous therapist,
    (But he didn't understand the chronic pain).
    As with all things, I think, having someone with a true understanding of chronic pain lifestyle....priceless.

Wish you all the best as you continue to recover!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Ron
    Dang it not good you are dealing with what you are and falling down after having both your hips done is not good at all. I am so sorry I am that things are tough for you, you have always been there for me in some of my worst times and hearing that you are having it rough wish there was something I could say to help you. 
    You give so much to help others even when things are going rough for you and I just hope that you feel the appreciation you deserve so much.  
    Your strong going through what you have, so the fact that you drink here and there enjoy it and heh if I could I would but my stomach doesn't like it and I am afraid of the sleep thing. I did buy a bottle a few months ago and I look at it every now and then, who knows I may have a drink one of these nights and I would never feel one bit of guilt over it. 
    I have never seen that kind of doctor and when I am done with this post I am going to see if I can find one, it is a good idea, I could use a doctor who gets it to talk to.
    Take care and wishing you whatever it takes to feel better.
    Sherri
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Good luck with the pain councilor , it really helped me deal with a lot.  I hope you find someone who is versed in both eastern and western ideals , I know you practice that already and would be a good fit .
    It is a hit to your confidence sometimes when you realize you need the help, but it shouldn't be or maybe that's just me that felt that way at first.
    Alcohol has allowed me to retain some fashion of a social life which has greatly benefitted my relationship and even though I had a small period where I was using it to control pain and allow me to work, I think the benefits in light moderation can really be good for some.  Just my opinion also and I don't have pain meds at this time to consider so easier choice for me.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement