Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Military Injury (no record) - Pain meds failing - SCS Implant

Good Evening All,

My name is Reaper. For my spine condition, I am at wits end. I had an SCS implant on April 15. 

I am presently taking oxycodone 15mg IR x4 as well as Morphine 15mg ER x1. My non narcotics are SOMA, gabalentin and Celebrex. 

I have been told that I am at a high enough level that they are choosing not to go any higher.

With that being said, my question is if I should seek out another pain management clinic and go with theme?

This has been  going on for over 2 years now. I have to go this Wednesday for yet another follow up, but I am in still a great amount of pain.

I never post on forums and such, so this is all new to. Please, someone out of the kindness of you heart, please help me.

advertisement

Comments

• I should have proofread my post before posting, so for that I apologize, however, pain tends to make you forget details at times.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    You are a pretty decent level of pain medication plus your implant.

Why are you thinking about going to a pain management  clinic?   It seems your current medical support feels that you do not need any higher level of opiates.   Switching medical offices is not an answer.  At times, that can even create a problem.  

If you are in the need of additional or different medication, then I am going to say that additional tests or physical indicators will be necessary.  But that is the type of questions you need to ask your current medical provider
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Hi reaper! First of all I want to say thank you for what you do! I appreciate it immensely! 
    So very sorry you're in so much pain. If your pain isn't being controlled adequately, you should pursue finding help elsewhere. Just because some say "wow,that's so much!" Doesn't mean it works as well! Everyone is different & even different meds affect everyone in a different way.

I was on a regimen that made some doctors lose their mind when they saw it. So much so that I was accused of being abused. You find early on you really don't want people to know what you're taking. Their judgemental faces/words are terrible. They don't have to live with the pain. They can just sit back & air their opinions. 

If you're still in pain obviously the meds aren't working anymore. That's why they have varying dosages & different meds. You're the one who is in pain.

I switched from my clinic to a pain management. Technically this is my 2nd pain management. I went to a place before it that also frowned upon my meds. Everyone seems to feel that if you just say it,it comes true. "You don't need this,you don't need this amount." I put in many applications & when I went in to my appointment I informed them I want to find a doctor I feel comfortable with. So far this place is working but I do have 1 more place I am waiting on. They do an extensive check. You have to meet with therapists & basically be vetted. 

It's become so ridiculous due to the drug abusers. I feel like doctors just over exaggerate to make it so we believe we aren't in pain or need anything. I know they need to be careful but they took a job that has risks involved. Can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know?

I've had a few in my journey that are real winners. A woman I saw after my primary left accused me of having a relationship with my former dr! Why? Because of the meds/doses/mgs. She also accused me of being an addict & said I must be abusing them. I must be! Even though all my ua's were spot on every time. But because of their opinion, I was labeled in a matter of seconds. Dangerous if you ask me. You can ruin lives throwing out accusations. Happy to say she is no longer employed there. I never complained but wonder if I should have. Obviously she rubbed others the wrong way too.

Then I had a surgeon tell me he was only going to give me pain meds for 3 days for a fusion. The other surgeons said that's ridiculous, you need to control your pain levels. This guy yelled at me for 10 minutes straight & accused me of being sexually abused. The reason? He wasn't happy I was on such meds. I said "I feel like you are the abusive one & btw...why do you have a black eye!" He was a jerk. He also said non narcotics are so much safer than narcotics. I laughed at him because I've had so many issues with non narcotics. When I told him to go through my medical records & tell me how many times I've been admitted for side effects for non narcotics he finally stopped. 

People need to stop judging & be more sympathetic. 

I hope you find a place that'll control your pain better. You deserve a quality of life that YOU can live with. You're the one that has to do your daily routine & they aren't going to come over to help. 

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello reaper !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Joyful,

Thank you for your response. You really touched my heart. I appreciate it. I will indeed look to a pain management clinic elsewhere for a second opinion. 

R/
    Reaper
  • advertisement

• savage said:

hello reaper !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!

thank you savage. i appreciate it. i never post to forums so this is my first time. i feel lost so i thought i'd come here and seek assistance and like minded people. thank you.

• dilauro said:

You are a pretty decent level of pain medication plus your implant.

Why are you thinking about going to a pain management  clinic?   It seems your current medical support feels that you do not need any higher level of opiates.   Switching medical offices is not an answer.  At times, that can even create a problem.  

If you are in the need of additional or different medication, then I am going to say that additional tests or physical indicators will be necessary.  But that is the type of questions you need to ask your current medical provider

My primary care physician is a pain management doctor. I do attend a pain management clinic. I have had all tests under the sun. My ortho surgeon out of California as well as a couple close friends who are neuros have said that the level of meds being taken needs to be increased before any kind of healing can begin. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

~Reaper

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    i am glad to see that you are having tests and medical folks are looking after  you.   i do have two questions.
    1. what increased level or change of medication is being looked at?
    2. why do they feel that healing can not begin until there is an increase in pain medication?
    the more important question was #2.  especially since there are so many modules available to everyone that helps in over pain management in recovery.   so often, people put everything into one basket, the narcotic. 

please take a look at the blend   this was something i put together years ago to document all the various components are in total pain control.   it is not a checklist, but more of a concept on how to deal day to day.

i believe in opiates(narcotics) and have been on a steady dose for 10 years straight without a break.  prior to that, i was on/off narcotics for 25+ years.   without that, i would have had a much more difficult time working or doing what i needed to do.  but it has taken its toll.

so today, for almost any level of narcotic i take, i have to double on on a dosage of a nausea medication (zofan) to keep from vomiting most of the day.   i am not healed yet, just recovering from my last spinal surgery.   but i keep working on ways to reduce narcotics in my life.

people that know me hear have often heard me say:
    narcotics:    critical for people that need them, an abuse for those that want them.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 

• dilauro said:

i am glad to see that you are having tests and medical folks are looking after  you.   i do have two questions.
    1. what increased level or change of medication is being looked at?
    2. why do they feel that healing can not begin until there is an increase in pain medication?
    the more important question was #2.  especially since there are so many modules available to everyone that helps in over pain management in recovery.   so often, people put everything into one basket, the narcotic. 

please take a look at the blend   this was something i put together years ago to document all the various components are in total pain control.   it is not a checklist, but more of a concept on how to deal day to day.

i believe in opiates(narcotics) and have been on a steady dose for 10 years straight without a break.  prior to that, i was on/off narcotics for 25+ years.   without that, i would have had a much more difficult time working or doing what i needed to do.  but it has taken its toll.

so today, for almost any level of narcotic i take, i have to double on on a dosage of a nausea medication (zofan) to keep from vomiting most of the day.   i am not healed yet, just recovering from my last spinal surgery.   but i keep working on ways to reduce narcotics in my life.

people that know me hear have often heard me say:
    narcotics:    critical for people that need them, an abuse for those that want them.

hi ron,

thank you for your reply. the medication they would increase would be the opiates. i too believe in them in the right hands. my physician is fairly young. my age 33. and is not comfortable for the amount i'm taking for a long term chronic pain patient. 

with the dosages i take now, i literally can function for about an hour and then that's it. time to waitfor the next dose. the scs works on the major area of pain, however i still have debilitating pain. here is an insight of my anatomical issues:

c4-c5= bone spur 2mm anterior. weakness numbness and  tingling and pain in both upper extremities. limited range of motion on the neck.

t6-t7= 1.5 mm buldge 

l2-l5= dessication, protrusion and extrusion  of multiple discs at 3mm buldge. severe low back pain, weakness, numbness, tingling, loss of balance, nerve pain.

so when i ask for an increase as i have become adapted to the medication after several months, then i feel it should be granted as i am not looking for a permanent alteration (fusion) to my spine at this time. i am only 33.

thank you for your time.
  • Reaper, that's totally fair in my opinion. When I was taking gabapentin I had to keep increasing the dose. Now it's the same with my muscle relaxer. Actually it's been every med. Your body will grow accustomed to any medicine,even antibiotics. 
    It sounds like you're in a lot of pain. Only an hour of relief isn't much at all. Will you keep us updated on what happens when you go in?
    Btw,do you go to the VA? Or a civilian doctor? Another question for you is can they add something to you SCS? 

advertisement