Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Left thigh pain. Especially at night or long periods of driving.

Hello, my name is Fawn and I thank you for allowing me into this group, I'm trying to find answers as to why my left thigh hurts so bad at night. My Doc doesn't seem to have an answer, but she gives me lyrica. I want to find the cause and possibly fix it. Its seems to have started 6 years ago with my 5th baby, I was in labor 29 hrs, I had an epidural. My nurse never changed my position, immediately after going to my room, I was screaming in pain with my left thigh, she had no clue why this was happening, she could only give me morphine to ease my pain. I hope somebody is familiar with this and can maybe lead me in the right direction. 
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi
    Sorry you are dealing with this. Have a had an mri or other diagnostic testing?
    Ellen 
  • fawnt1034ffawnt1034 MissouriPosts: 2
    No, I'm going to. Thank you
  • advertisement
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Hi Fawn,

Welcome :)

Where in your left thigh is the pain? Do you have other symptoms or diagnoses?

Thanks,
    Sara :) 
  • joyful_in_sorrowsjoyful_in_sorrows U.S.Posts: 240
    edited 08/13/2016 - 1:43 PM
    Other than my epidurals for back/neck pain relief, I've had 4 epidurals just for c-sections. My 2nd one made me have uncomfortable numbness in my upper back. I told my doctor/surgeon & he blew it off. I specifically pointed to the area of injection & above it. He said no way did it (numbness) have to do with the epidural. 

I know it did. The timing can't be ignored. 

I would suggest getting in asap & document it. It is a real thing. My symptoms in the beginning were in fact signs that something went wrong. There are serious side affects from an epidural. Arachnoiditis is one of the major,life changing effects. It's a pain disorder caused by the inflammation of the arachnoid, one of the membranes that surrounds and protects the nerves of the spinal cord. It is characterized by severe stinging, burning pain, and neurological problems.

There are many reports to the FDA regarding this after child birth as well. Not just from back pain patients. The FDA has issued a warning against these but we don't hear about it. Yet they won't toughen the warning. Depo-Medrol, manufactured by Pfizer, is the leading steroid used. It's banned for epidural use in Australia and New Zealand, and Pfizer wants it banned worldwide. Something to be taken seriously. 

I often wonder if this is why my doctors think I have ms symptoms. My spine issues have been around since I was young but it quickly deteriorated after my epidural. There should be more research done. But you really should have a doctor order a nerve test. I had one & it came back normal for both neck/back but I still have pain. Not an easy path to be on. So sorry you have so much pain. Hopefully you can get some relief & quickly! 
advertisement