Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hip pinching, thigh tingling and knee pressure

Hi. I was recently in the ER after a golf incident. I bent over incorrectly and herd an internal pop in my lower back. By the time I got home I was in debilitating pain. Couldn't lie and wanted to stretch hip underneath myself to control pain. 

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Larger bulge in L4 L5, smaller bulges in disc above and below. With some degeneration in the facet joints. 

I suffered through the pain and am now doing PT and decompression therapy. After 5 weeks I am now able to walk again and made it around the block last night. But I have minor pinching pain in outside of my hip, tingling in the front of my thigh and my knee at times of when I'm standing seem like it was sprained badly. The pathology doesn't match the discs that have been identified. 

I'm thinking either way I'm on the right track and now know what I have to confront it head on with every possible conservative measure. First Dr said try PT and conservative measures but the second said surgery now, or try PT for 6 weeks and then we will schedule surgery. 

If I'm improving 5 weeks out from injury, why would I have surgery. Should I treat this as a blessing in disguise? Being that I now know my condition and can change lifestyle activities to manage it? And keep following the path of the conservative measures. Or, should I be looking into surgery cause I'm chasing an impossible recovery from this.

Background. 36 yo veteran with a very active lifestyle. Never had back problems till taking a desk job. Developed anterior pelvic tilt last few years and never cared about posture till now. 

Any advice or success stories of those living with lumbar spinal stenosis who opted to avoid surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• I missued that my knee feels a little numb but getting better after PT and Decompression Therapy.
  • Hello, Alyssajoe!

I'm one of the people who couldn't avoid surgery.  Since you appear to be doing well with conservative measures, perhaps you will be able to "keep on keeping on" just as you are doing!!  Conservative methods are sometimes mistakenly seen as a "bandaid", or a bridge to unavoidable surgical procedures.  There are members here who continue to cope very well with their various conditions without having had any type of operation!  Additionally, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country!

Lastly, welcome to the forums!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health   
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • So I'm not chasing false hopes. 

I understand there's a time for surgery. My heart goes out to all those suffering in pain having surgeries. Reading some stories literally bring me to tears and scares the life out of me. 

I just hope there's a way. Hard work and good discipline with the proper chiropractic and decompression maintenance.  A total lifestyle change. Maybe there's someone on here who fought, did it, and reached back to all those suffering as a way to say it's possible. If I make it, that's what I'm doing. Something supportive. I have to after reading some of the stories on here.