Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Discectomy surgery

Hi am 36 and scheduled for surgery on Sept. 12, 2016. I have a herniated disc L5-S1 on the left. They have scheduled surgery for my left side only? With a discecotomy can they work on both sides at the same time while they have me open? I have been having pains on my right side the last couple of weeks. 
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi jcectomy
    I am not sure but I would think if there was an issue on the other side it would have shown up in any diagnostic testing that was done? Obviously this is a question for your surgeon.

I had a microdiscectomy at L5S1 on the right side and while it was pretty successful, i couldnt imagine having both sides done at once. I'm not even sure that would be a good thing to do. Maybe you are overcompensating on the other side. 
    Ellen 
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    I was thinking along the same lines as Ellen, that perhaps the pain on the right side is because it is working harder to make up for lack of function on the left side.  But certainly make your surgeon aware of the new issues before the surgery.  If your discectomy surgery is done as per normal (I had discectomy surgery for ruptured L5-S1 too), I would think the small incision will be close to the middle of your lower back, and they will try to get out as much disc fragments as they can safely reach without doing too much damage in there.  But you should ask your surgeon to explain exactly how it will be done and I think this will put your mind at ease.  All the best to you in your surgery and recovery!
  • advertisement
  • Nana107NNana107 GeorgiaPosts: 2
    Yes they can. I had a discectomy February 2011 L3--S1
    I wish you the best of luck. My recovery was not bad at all, just follow instructions on aftercare. It will be very important in your healing. Keep us posted when you feel up to it.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello jcectomy !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement