Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Day 1 of Pain Pump Journey

Comments

• Memerainbolt,

I'm excited that your appointment is around the corner for your pump!! You sound like you're more than ready and I fully understand that. 

What a bkessing to have your hubby there to love you, spoil you and just be there for you. After surgery we need people around us who are genuine and full of true love for us. You are very blessed. 

The surgeon will figure out your starting dose and there will be adjustments possibly often after it's in. After about 2 1/2 months the dosage was perfect. Ask for a Patient Programmer as you can give yourself a bolus dose when needed. How often and what dose are programmed into the pump. 

Ive never heard of any weight gain with the pump, I mean there is an extra inch or so to account for in your abdomen but it didn't change my weight at all. 

Best of luck and looking forward to your updates!!

((hugs)) from a fellow pain pump person HA!! 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472
    You are so sweet!! Thank you so much for the information and support, I really appreciate it.
    I've never been worried about the weight gain, that was someone else. But I could use some, I'm at 90 lbs up from 86! ! Lol And ive never been vain just want out of pain.
    My surgeon already discussed the personal programmer with us and yes, I will get one.
    Once my pump is in my pain management doctor takes over with the meds and filling it. We've already discussed everything him, we have a real good relationship with him. We laughed because I told him we were now forever together!!
    I am very blessed in many ways and thank God every day for it. My daughters, grown grandkids, all understand and know everything. Talk to them almost every day. My sweet hubby, the world would be better if there were more of him. All the years of marriage, we have never argued or raised our voices, don't believe in it. We would make very good marriage counselors lol.
    Here I am rattling on, sorry.
    Again, thank you so much.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
    Update, sort of!! I had an appointment today with my PM doctor, he wanted to go over everything about the pump, see if we had any questions or concerns. This is how he and the neurosurgeon work together with the patient.
    For the trial, Jan 3rd, the neurosurgeon and I will determine what meds will work best and the dose. 
    Once he implants the pump he will fill it with those meds. I'll be in the hospital 3-4 days where he will be able to keep a close watch for any side effects or the need to change the meds or dose.
    After that, I go to my PM doctor for refills or if anything needs to be changed.
    After reading a lot of threads on this forum from other people and their experiences, I knew what to ask.
    I'm very blessed, my doctor is very good to work with and is understanding.
    So thanks to everyone!! We need to keep the conversations about the pump going as more and more people are talking about them.
    Sandra
    Sorry for the long delay in posting but nothing has changed since my last appointment with my PM doctor on Dec 7th.
    We leave this afternoon to go to Indianapolis, the trial is in the morning, we have to be there at 6:00.
    I'm excited but surprisingly calm. I guess when you're a Spiney you get used to the needles and procedures, just another day in our world.
    No meds of any kind after midnight, they want you at your worst lol. I apologized in advance and she said we've seen and heard it all, it's ok. But it will all be worth it in the end.
    Thanks to everyone for your continued support and advice. I don't think I would have agreed to the pump if I would not have reached out to this forum for help. The response for the last 4 months has been overwhelming for me and my hubby. We both greatly appreciate it.
    Will update, hopefully, tomorrow evening.
    Sandra
    I had the trial for the pain pump this morning. 
    But first, they let my hubby suit up and watch, he's done that before, just loves it!! And they always let him!!
    The neurosurgeon only put .5 mg of morphine and it lasted 4-5 hrs. I got some relief but not as much as any of us had hoped for. They were hoping for a lower pain level.
    But I also realize this will take time to get the right dose to where I need to be.
    A rep from Medtronic was there too, very helpful. I thought I knew a lot about pumps but I got schooled today!!! Very informative, I had my notes and questions for him and he took the time to thoroughly answer them all.
    More news tomorrow, I will have a surgery date!!
    Sandra
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587
    Sandra, this is all sounding very good.    Let it continue!!!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hi Sandra!
    Cant tell you how I'm learning from you!
    So,glad you have this discussion going!

And so glad things are progressing well for you! 
    I look forward to reading more! And all the best to you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 681
    Sandra,
    so glad you asked a lot of questions,  hopefully. They will schedule the pump quickly.  It seems you've done your homework .  When   I had my pump put in. I didn't realize the Medtronic people would be there.  My dr. Never informed me that they would.  My dr. Kept telling me that the pump would cover my whole body,   I'm finding out 
    differently now..    Thanks for your diligent work.   Good luck talk to you later

God. Bless
    Sue, thank you so much. I have learned so much and can't wait to start sharing this information with others. I just wish anyone on the forum that is or is going to do this had my neurosurgeon and PM doctors.
    Mike, I cannot believe your doctor said the pump would cover your whole body!! When my doctor finished the test, he and the Medtronic rep were on their way to a famous children's hospital to implant a baclofen pump in a little boy. I thought of you and asked a lot of questions. 
    I still don't have a surgery date, hopefully today.
    Sandra
  • I'll be checking this thread myself. With my thoracic injury, nobody is jumping up to do surgery on me and I've tried almost every ESI there is. I did have a fresh MRI taken last month. I'll bring up the pain pump with my pain doctor in March. I'm recovering from other surgery and they want me to heal up before doing anything else.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.