First some medical articlesPain medication addiction and treatmentRapid Detoxification from opiatesNarcotic drugs - A double edged swordDisclaimer
: This discussion in no way implies or tries to indicate that opiiod medication for pain management is not warranted. People suffering from chronic pain, can manage their day to day lives with the aid of opioids.Disccusion:
Many people have written on Spine-Health that they want to start to wean themselves off of narcotics (opioids) and other medications associated with their spinal problem.
I believe it is almost 99.9% if chronic pain patients that wish they no longer needed opioids. I've been dealing with this for so many years and the opioids have cause many additional problems for my body. The biggest one is related to stomach related issues.
So, now you would like to start to wean yourself off a medication. First Important Tip: DO NOT DO IT BY YOURSELF
. You should always contact your doctor talk about your wishes and together come up with a plan on how to slowly and safely wean yourself.Procedure:
I was on Oxycontin for a number of years. At one time, I was a 40mg 3x day. Slowly, I wanted to eliminate that. I worked with my doctor and we had a plan that went somewhat as follows:
- First week: take 40mg 2x instead of 3x day. Do this for one week.
- Second week: take 40mg 1x day instead of 2 do this for two weeks
- Fourth week: reduce to 20mg Oxycontin 2x day, do this for a week
- Fifth week: take 20mg 1x day, for one week
- Sixth week: reduce to 10mg Oxycontine 2x day for one week
- Seventh week: take 1 10mg Oxycontin a day for one week
- Eight week: take 1 10mg Oxcontin every other day for one week
- Ninth week : take 1 10mg Oxycontin every third day
- Tenth week: Eliminate Oxycontin and continue with any breakthrough
By the end of the 10th week, I was completely off Oxycontin without having to go through any type of withdrawal. It is so important to do this slowly. If you do this too quickly, the shock to your body may be too great and you might find yourself in withdrawal or an immense amount of pain.
All the time, my diet did not change, but I drank more and more water. On many of those days, I would be having 10-12 16oz of water every day.
Its a process, but in the end, you should be able to reach your desired goal.
Talk to us about your attempts in doing this.