Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

St. Jude Proclaim Elite implant yesterday

Comments

• I hate my medtronic..
  • My Medtronic trial was horrendous because of a two week spinal headache. It was removed after a week but the pain lingered despite two blood patches as well. The bottom of my feet felt like if they were being blown out. Way too much stimulation on lowest settings. I went on to get a pain pump which turned out okay. Years later St Jude Proclaim Elite SCS was offered since I can't have surgery for stenosis. Few years of technology improvements go a long way. Trial was pretty painful because of the battery unit being taped to my back. I couldn't really tell the difference in pain levels til it was taken out. Today after surgery, the stimulation doesn't feel the same as it did during the trial but I'll continue to work with it. I think it's the scar tissue playing a role. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • edited 02/09/2017 - 7:25 AM
    Sorry it has been a couple of weeks since I have been here.  I had my spinal cord stimulator placed on January 27th by my pain doctor.  He was amazing and I am now almost two weeks post op.  I have the St Judes Proclaim and I am loving it.  I have it set on the Burst program which I do not feel and it takes the least amount of energy from my non rechargeable battery.  I found out that the Proclaim is also 100 percent MRI compatible.  I am instructed to contact one of my reps and they will help me set the SCS into MRI mode.   I had my initial programming during surgery and then followed up on while in recovery.  During my first 10 day followup with the doctor he said everything looked good and the next day I met with one of my St Jude reps.  She reprogrammed everything for me because I was getting very little relief.  Since she did some additional programming for me it has helped.  She told me it would take up to 20 days to get the full relief of the Burst programming .  Since she had done some reprogramming for me and used the program that feels like a TENS unit (I love that program), it would take the Burst additional time to reach it's full potential (5 - 20 days).  I do not mind at all as anything is better than what I was dealing with.

I am writing because I am worried about my post op recovery.   In the last two weeks I have "caught" myself in a half bent over stance once to try to attend to a sick dog and  the second time in a reaching out not quite above my head to get something out of the cabinet.   Both times my husband was not here (He is great at letting me know that I am not standing straight, etc which I am grateful for) and I did both actions without thinking.  I am scared to death I may have moved my leads.  I did not have paddles with my implant but I think the doctor may have lightly secured the leads with a suture as I kind of recall him telling me not to make any sudden movements,.  My out patient instructions were no bending, twisting, lifting over 5 pounds, hands above head reaching for 6 - 8 weeks.  I am so self conscious and worried I am going to screw this up.  I pray I haven't moved anything... does anyone know how I can tell if my leads were moved since I am on the Burst program and can't feel the SCS?   

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the scar tissue to form to hold these leads in place well enough where I shouldn't have to worry so much.  Will I be on the no bending, lifting, twisting protocol for the rest of my life?  I don't mind if it gets me the relief   need.  

As far as pain goes, I still have some mild surgical pain but my back pain is better (not great but better) and my foot pain is better but it has improved the least.  I feel as though my feet and fingers are always on fire, burning like a nerve pain and my feet feel as though I am walking on glass shards or nails.  My right foot wakes me up at night and I told the pain clinic about that.  We had an x ray done and it was WNL so I don't have a clue what could be causing that pain.  But I am thrilled that both have improved in the last two weeks and I do not want to mess anything up because of brain fog and doing something I shouldn't and catching myself.  

I am so sorry for the long post but wanted to tell you about the St Judes Proclaim non rechargeable SCS (which I love).  I also wanted to tell everyone who is with St Judes that we were informed by Tech Support of  a bug in the uploading of version 10 IOS on the Apple IPOD.  It will not let the charger and generator stay paired.  You have to manually pair it each time you want to check you generator.  That pairing will not last very long but it does not affect the unit and the unit does stay on and in the correct mode you put it on.  They are working out the bugs now and they should be fixed here shortly.  

Thank you for any input you have on movement of leads and I will try to do a better job of keeping you updated on how my SCS is working.  I am already loving and it is only week two. 
  • Hi everyone 
    I just finished my trial st Jude proclaim burst 
    and I had SEVERE post procedure pain 4 out of the 7 day trial was bad. But the device seemed to work as well as possible. I am scheduled for my permanent surgery on 4/7 and I was wondering how long will I be off work after surgery? 
    I work at a tire manufacturing plant and have to pick up and move tires all day/night 
    I was just wondering what is the common rule of no work after the permanent surgery 

thanks in advance 
    M. Little 
  • Does anyone can complete relief from BURSTDR Scs?  Do you keep it on burst cycle or do you use the tonic mode more?
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.