Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 TLIF spinal fusion

ryan22rryan22 Trinidad and tobagoPosts: 1
Hi, I am totally new to the forum and I am seeking some advice .. I have been suffering with severe nerve pain, weakness and numbness since January 2016.. I had an initial discsectomy in February. I was able to regain some power and sensation  on the left (affected) side. After starting physical therapy, pain weakness and numbness returned and wasn't not getting better with the therapy. I was asked to do a nerve conduction study, which had shown a more than 60% difference in values in comparison to the other (unaffected ) leg. After the subsequent MRI, my surgeon suggested the TLIF fusion with cage for the L5/S1 region. This was completed in September.  After the surgery, my left leg was much better, with bothsensation and power. However, my right leg, which was totally unaffected before is really bad. The pain down the leg, loss of sensation in the foot and significant decrease in power of the ankle and calf, more so worst than when the left leg was affected. I am really worried at this point as there hasn't been really real improvement. I am still having to use medication to control the pain. I can't even sit without using these meds. The surgeon  has just told me to monitor the situation. I am really need of some feedback as I feel very worried about the right leg....:'(

advertisement

Comments

• Hello, Ryan22!

Perhaps you could ask your surgeon if "monitoring" this situation should include some updated diagnostic imaging in order to evaluate the current condition of your spine?  I've learned that the only stupid question in being a spinal patient is the one you DON'T ask!!  I went through a similar pattern of feeling wonderful in the initial stages of recovery from fusion surgery, only to backslide about 6-7 weeks out.  It was eventually discovered that I had excessive scar tissue at the internal surgical site which was trapping the nerves from L4-S1!! 

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!