Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What are you biggest fears leading right up to surgery date?

Everyone has an empty feeling in their stomach when they start to think about an upcoming surgery.   You fully understand that the procedure is straight forward .

I still remember all those days/nights before each of my surgeries.  It never gets easier, there is almost always this nagging feeling, as if you forgot something.

What were your feelings leading up to surgery?
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• KimbraKimbra AustraliaPosts: 58
    At first it was the fact that I needed surgery at all.  I'm 27, fit and healthy, how did this happen? I was doing so well!! 
    My neurosurgeon made me feel really at ease with my surgery. It was stilk terrifying, but at some point in the waiting process I realised I was more terrified of the anaesthetic than anything else. Don't ever Google anxiety about anaesthetic before surgery. You hope for helpful advice but end up reading articles about people who never wake up or the ones who wake up mid surgery and are paralysed and feel everything. 

I cried the whole drive to the hospital, all through the nurse check in and in the pre-op theatre I was wailing and sobbing like a lunatic. Then my anaesthetist gave me something to calm my nerves and next minute I was being woken up by a nurse and everything had gone fine and I felt like an idiot for being so scared. 

But it's like flying. I am terrified of flying. I've never had a bad experience flying but I am an absolute mess in an aeroplane.
  • chonnacchonna JoplinPosts: 28
    I'm scheduled to have surgery to correct my severe scoliosis Nov 2 and my emotions are a roller coaster ride.  I have great faith in my surgeon and the hospital but the surgery will take 8-12 hours and the recovery from anesthesia is my greatest fear.  Then there's the pain he has guaranteed will last at least 3 months.  We live in the Midwest so it will be a long, cold, grueling winter as I recover.  And we live 5 hrs from the hospital so just getting me home will be a challenge.  I'm fairly calm today, but I'm at work and my mind is busy with other things. I know that I am held in prayer by many friends and that He will never leave me nor forsake me and that gives me comfort. I try not to fear. But it's a lot to deal with......
  • advertisement
  • I'm scheduled for ACDF 1 level on Nov 2 and chonna I am right there with you on the roller coaster ride of emotions. My biggest fear for this is that after it's done I won't get the relief that I should, having had 3 surgeries to replace both my achilles I have experienced the "first surgery didn't work so we have to redo" scenario. In addition to this is the throat pain that is most common with this surgery really dreading that, but I do have the faith in my surgeon and hospital staff and I know My Lord is always with me... Chonna you have one more friend that will be praying for you as well...
  • arabianhorseloveraarabianhorselover U.P. of MichiganPosts: 29
    I 'm worried about lots of things including the fact that the end of November is a bad time of year to get back surgery where I live with a long snowy Winter ahead. I'm afraid of falling on the ice, how to get to work if I can't move snow, etc.
  • arabianhorseloveraarabianhorselover U.P. of MichiganPosts: 29
    I'm scheduled to have surgery to correct my severe scoliosis Nov 2 and my emotions are a roller coaster ride.  I have great faith in my surgeon and the hospital but the surgery will take 8-12 hours and the recovery from anesthesia is my greatest fear.  Then there's the pain he has guaranteed will last at least 3 months.  We live in the Midwest so it will be a long, cold, grueling winter as I recover.  And we live 5 hrs from the hospital so just getting me home will be a challenge.  I'm fairly calm today, but I'm at work and my mind is busy with other things. I know that I am held in prayer by many friends and that He will never leave me nor forsake me and that gives me comfort. I try not to fear. But it's a lot to deal with......
    I don't know where you live in the Midwest, but I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan and am traveling 400 miles to have my surgery. Just don't want to have it done around here. I want to go somewhere where they know what they're doing.
  • advertisement
    I'm in Joplin, traveling to Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St Louis. Do you have any qualms about getting yourself back home after an extensive surgery?
  • for me i wasnt really nervous since i had surgery the week after my consolt so i didnt really have time to panic or cry but the night before i got crazy nervous the hospital i was having surgery was an hour away so up early to get down there i was texting my ex it happend to be our 5 month anniversery i got sweet texts and everything

when i got to the pre op stuff i informed my nurses about my anxiety and had my mom and sister there i was so nervous but they gave me somthng to relax and when they came in and said time to go they put me in the pre op holding bay and di talked to the care team and they put some stuff in my iv and i was gone

i woke up to the nurse taking an oxugen tube off my face and asked for my family but it was a good experince and i would go there if i ever needed more oprations
  • I am a 68-year-old female in the UK. I had neck surgery 4 months ago to try and put right bodged, unnecessary triple-level fusion carried out in Greece in 2013. My surgeon also fused C6-C7 vertebrae as MRIs showed nerve root compression there, which he thought was causing the worsening pain I was in. I had great faith in this surgeon, but the operation was delayed and cancelled several times over nine months. When I finally had a new date for surgery, I was extremely 'anxious' .....very, very nervous, mainly because of having had such an awful experience before. I thought I controlled my 'anxiety' well, but the surgeon told me recently I had 'off the scale anxiety'. Well, who wouldn't be nervous (terrified) of having that done for the second time! The anaethetist was wonderful, I wasn't aware he was putting me under, and I woke up 5 hours later, in pain but they soon got that under control. So yes, my emotions were extreme fear and anxiety. The surgery was successful, from the surgeon's point of view, and I am now waiting for the vertebrae to fuse properly.
    Nov 2 ? burgekids we are having our surgery the same day, that's awesome, I'd love to hang out with you as we wake up and begin our recovery. Hold tight to Jeremiah 29:11 He knows the plans He has for us, plans to prosper and not to harm us. Plans to give us hope and a future. We serve an Awesome God
advertisement