Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

((Big)) pain in my glutes 8 weeks post AILF L5-S1. Advice?

Greetings Spineys,

I'm 8 weeks post AILF for L5-S1. 1st and only surgery. 57 year old male...20 pounds overweight (gained over past year due to less activity)

The good news: walking 3-4 miles at a stretch, nerve pain in legs has reduced 50% and lessoning, and my back feels surprisingly good (pain level @ 1-2). Sleeping better.

Challenging news: A few days after getting out of my back brace (4-5 weeks) I started feeling muscle spasms in my glutes and hamstrings. After started PT 2 weeks ago, the pain in my glutes and some in my hamstrings igrew in intensity to BIG! Going down stairs results in severe muscle spasms, When in spasm, I can walk... but gingerly. Flat ground is best, but I push myself through to 3-4 miles even though my glutes feels like I just climbed a 10,000 ft mountain. Still have residual numbness in feet, but Neurologist says that will take months to (hopefully) resolve.

The PT says the muscle spasm + bilateral pain in the butt has to do with the angle of my spine has shifted in relation to S1 as a result of the fusion. long muscles are shorter and shorter muscles are longer!

I'm stretching, albeit not consistently (my bad) I'm doing core exercises to get my abs muscles to fire-up...yet the muscle spasms in legs remain very strong. I occasionally use the YMCA pool and do water exercises. The PT says be patient, it takes time for the body to adapt & adjust. Epson salt baths help a little.

Any post-fusion folks having similar glute muscle pain/spasms? How long did it go on for you? Exercises or stretching kick in?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Healing vibes to ALL! :)

Cheers,

Richard
advertisement