Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain prevents MRI

Today, I was scheduled for MRIs of my right knee and lumbar spine.   I took a percocet tablet abot two hours before and 20mg of valium 30 mintes before the procedure.  When positioned for the knee image, I experienced a level10 pain in the knee/leg and was unable to continue.  When positioned for the lumbar image, the pain restarted and reached a level 7 or 8 before stropping the procedure.  What alternative is available? 
advertisement

Comments

•  I don't know, unless the doctor writes orders for sedation. I never had it for MRI, just for ct myelograms. They usually let me have a pillow for under my knees since laying flat is pretty much impossible for me. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493
    i was going to say see if they can pack you with pillows in a comfortable position.....they had to do that for me with my last MRI.  i absolutely could not lay flat in the scanner....not with my back problems.  if you can lay on your side or front sometimes they can scan that way as well.....but they need a bigger scanner for laying on your side. 
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement