Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Multi-Level Microdiscectomy and laminectomy - PostOp Journey

Hello all,

First I have to say thank you to the wonderful people in this thread. In addition to my surgery I have had some major life changes that have kept me from posting, but I would love to share my journey to recovery and get advice and input from others who have had a similar experience. I intend to update this thread throughout my healing.

I had a microdiscectomy on both L4 and L5 as well as a laminectomy on 2/16/2017. I am a 27 year old female with 3 prior minimally invasive abdominal surgeries. I had an abdominal surgery in March that weakened my muscle support. I had back pain and after an xray in 6/2016 they discovered degenerative disc disease. I was sent to physical therapy where I ended up with more pain and eventually leg numbness, stumbling, urinary incontinence issues and debilitating leg, hip and foot pain. After 3 consultations with different neurosurgeons in January, I went with the surgeon I trusted the most. 

The surgery went smoothly, I was kept over night and most of the next day. I walked up and down the halls with my nurse and was able to get up several times through the day to use the restroom. 

The first two days back home I  had very limited mobility and spent most of my time on my couch surrounded by pillows. I did not attempt to climb my stairs and slept on my couch instead. The first thing I noticed within 24 hours was ZERO pain in my leg, hip or foot. I only felt surgery related pain. My foot was still tingling but not numb. It is worth mentioning, the last day I took gabepentin was 2 days before the surgery. No need for it now. It's amazing!

The swelling until two days ago was scary, there was a lump the size of a baseball above the incision and very puffy all around the incision. I was intending to call the doctor on day 6 as I was getting worried. I slept 11 hours on night 6 and woke with the swelling decreased by half!

Now I am nine days post-op. I rarely need my pain relievers now, I take half the dose in the morning and a full dose before bed to assure I can sleep through it. I have no hip pain, no leg pain, very minimal tingling and the only pain in my back is certainly related to my surgery. Last night I had moved around my house a lot and did more squatting and light chores than I probably should have, and now I have a deep painful sensation that radiates only from my ankle to the big toe. I have no pain (surgery related aside ) other than this new pain. 

I know that I cannot get medical advice and no one here is a physician (or is permitted to give medical input) but has anyone had a sudden increase in pain in their foot or lower leg? I have a feeling it is just from pushing myself a little too far and this is probably expected. It is not excruciating, just a deep aching feeling. 

Here's to healing!
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Ocines -

It sounds like things are progressing rather well for you.  Please keep us posted.

Follow good post op protocol(s) Try to not over do it .... and if any change in your status should occur-
    When in any doubt contact you physician(s).

Regards,

MN