Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Return to full activity after ALIF L5-S1

Vlad302VVlad302 Posts: 6
edited 03/20/2017 - 12:23 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello, I am sorry if it has been discussed before, I didn't find anything. I had an ALIF surgery on March, 2 2017. I am 44 yo healthy male in good shape. I feel great, hard cramp in my calf turned out to be DVT, so I've been on anticoagulant for the past week. Calf is much better. Beside other activities, I walk 3.1 mile a day. 2 weeks after surgery I make it in 45 minutes (14 and a half minute mile). My question is: is there a clear guideline for returning to full on activities? I have orders for "no BLT" (bending, lifting, twisting) for 3 month. It seems very arbitrary and generic. A little over 2 weeks after surgery I strongly feel that I am only limited by doctor's orders. I don't feel much of discomfort anywhere, other then leg with DVT (and it is not bad at all by now). I didn't require any medications other then anticoagulants. Doesn't seem right to me to limit myself for so long... 
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Vlad, this is just my two cents but I had surgery end of January for the same thing and same surgery. I have been very active in the gym and running my whole life so I completely understand where you are coming from but if you read some of the experiences on this forum they felt great and exercised too hard to quick and end up hurting themselves. I am following the doctors directions completely and while they are driving me crazy to limit myself I have accepted that For the next 6-9 months I will barely be able to exercise but that small amount of time to be pain free? Easily Worth it.