Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What's the best Muscle Relaxant accessible with a solution? All sentiments needed!

I'm about to start a Skeletal Muscle Relaxant for Physical Therapy and need your help! Here are a list of Skeletal Muscle Relaxants. Please select the one you have had the best results with and let me know about it! I would appreciate it so much! Thanks in advance!

-Carisoprodol (Soma) 
-Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)
-Metaxalone (Skelaxin)
-Tizanidine (Zanaflex) 
-Dantrolene (Dantrium)
-Baclofen (Lioresal)
-Chlorzoxazone (Paraflex)
-Orphenadrine (Norflex)

advertisement

Comments

•  After trying several over the years, I've found that Baclofen works the best for me. Keep in mind everyone is different though. Doctors don't prescribe Soma much anymore. Skelaxin is supposed to cause less drowsiness but I found it not as effective. Flexeril kept me up all night and didn't do much for the spasms. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427
    i have had the same experience as medey.  flexeril kept me up all night....baclofen has worked the best for me too. 
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,650
    Over the years, here is my run down on muscle relaxers

Methocarmbonal (Rhobaxin)  -  Didnt get much from this, except my eye muscles were too relaxed
    Flexeril -  For me too much, the next day I felt like I had a major hangover that lasted a full day
    Soma -  Effective, no real room for dosage changes, can be very addictive, doctors do not like to prescribe
    Zanaflex -  Very effective.  Total relaxation.  But perhaps too much, had me way to drowsy
    Baclofen - For me the best, wide range of dosages and taken as prescribed helps with total relaxation.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    Soma, but the PM doctor will not prescribe it anymore.
    Akira/Chuck
  • I agree with Meyday. Baclofen is wonderful, but I can only handle it at night. I take Skelaxin during work hours.
  • advertisement
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 574
    I was given methocarbomal after my surgery, but I felt they were making me kinda sick. Zanaflex didn't help any.

Flexeril seems to work best for me. I only take it at night because it helps me sleep. When I go a night without taking it I get muscle cramps in lower lumbar, hips legs, and feet. I haven't ever felt like it was too much...doesn't make me feel wacked out in the morning, but maybe I'm wacky normally and can't tell the difference ; )
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Baclofen as well after being on many, I have no side effects and it has a subset that works somewhat on nerve pain.  My doctors tell me its the go to for spinal cord issues, it does not sound like you have that though.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Skelaxin was only mildly effective. No major side effects. Too high a copay on my insurance.

Cyclobenzaprine (flexaril) didn't help much. After a couple months it didn't work at all.

Baclofen worked moderately well, but the side effects, for me, were horrendous. It made me moody and forgetful. I couldnt communicate right. I couldn't come up with the words I wanted in basic conversations. Had to discontinue it.

I've been using Tizanidine for maybe a year. It works pretty well for muscle spasms. The side effects are a little difficult, but I manage.  It makes my mouth extremely dry. No matter how much water I drink, it never completely gets better. Depending on dose, it also makes me tired. My dose is between 4-8 mg at a time. 8mg makes me very sleepy. Also, I ran  into an issue with tizanidine I had to ask pharmacist about. If you take it with coffee, the amount of tizanidine in your blood increases. For example, if i drink coffee and take an 8mg dose of tizanidine at the same time, I will not be able to stay awake / conscious. And I am not overly sensitive to medications.  So take the lowest dose you can if you use this, and be mindful of when you drink coffee with it.
    Hope this helps!
    Sandy
advertisement