Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Osteophytes? Is there anyway to remove them from the spine?

I will probably need to remove them without a surgical procedure.

I had Ankylosing Spondilitis from age 13 to 40, I am now 45. The condition has now been eradicated but I am left with osteophytes all along the spine. Dozens of osteophytes with fusion of disc's in many places and lack of spine movement.

Is there anyway of removing them without surgery as there is so many. Removing them surgically would be difficult as they all over the spine back to front, top to bottom so I can't see this as viable. 

I would need some other procedure, medicine, or therapy. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,421
    Hello Alex9999

Osteophytes are also know as bone spurs. This is something you are going to have to discuss with the doctor or surgeon. The articles I read had varying answers. I am sending you a link at the very bottom that will take you to Spine-Health's vast library. There you will find informative articles and videos.

Please click on the Welcome link below for more useful information.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 
    Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427
    I have a cousin with AS and he actually found there was a lot less pain when it all naturally fused. He doesnt know of any other procedure, and in his case surgery was not an option....i am sure that your doctor would be able to answer those questions for you. 
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• advertisement