Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery after Discectomy

Comments

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,345
    edited 08/08/2013 - 1:38 PM
    to Spine Health.

Different surgeons has different restrictions after spinal surgery and really you should follow that advice.

My surgeries have been fusions which are more invasive than a micro discectomy, where the bulging part of the disc is removed. I would be very cautious about any heavy lifting soon after surgery and before you are healed. There are several members who have overdone it after a discectomy and they have reherniated the disc.

I hope that you will find a solution to this. :-)

Can I suggest that you start a new thread asking for other members who have had a discectomy for their experience and what they found.
    A new post is likely to get more people to read and respond than an old post like this one.

• I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6-8 weeks following surgery. I can tell you for the first 2 weeks I couldn't even lift the gallon of milk without feeling a pull. No way would I have lifted a 26 lb child after a week. I think you are going to need to have your child either crawl into your lap or you sit down next to the child and administer care that way. You can make amends to get by as it is possible to work around not lifing him/her. Keep in mind if you have a herniated disc you should not be lifting the child now either as you will further worsen your condition so either way you need to adapt.
    Angie 46 yo
    Post Discectomy for L5/S1 herniation on 3/22/13. Also have bulge at L4/L5 and minor facet syndrome in one joint.
  • advertisement
  • It has been 2 full days from having discectomy procedure on my L5/S1. I had been trying to let my body heal on its own since the end of October. Did the injection route and my surgeon the first time I saw him said if it were his body he wouldn't do surgery. Monday the 17th of March in my sleep that morning apparently did a number. By Tuesday I was crawling around on all 4's. Was able to get in front of my surgeon on the 21st basically crawling into his office and he scheduled surgery for the 26th.

I can definitely feel the fact That I had surgery, but thankfully I can now walk again and I am not feeling the sciatica pain or the burning sensation or numbness or tingling in my legs that caused excruciating pain that wouldn't allow me the ability to sleep through the night. I pray that my recovery continues to go well. I'll be taking it easy for the next 3 weeks.

I was scared at first to have the procedure because I have never had surgery before, but my wife is soo happy to have her husband back that I am glad I did it. I thought I would come on here and be able to help someone else if they needed it. The Lord knows how much time over the last 5 months I came online to try to find someone else who had recently gone through this or to find some type of pain relief.
  • I'm 24. I had a L5/S1 discectomy on the 15/5 this year. My surgeon took 60% of the disc on the left hand side as it was protruded into my nerves from a car accident late last year and causing a lot of pain in my back and legs aswell as calves and tendons (I could barely walk most days). So before my surgery I was told I would be having 6 to 10 weeks off work. Had 2 weeks sitting restriction which wasn't too bad and 6 weeks no driving. I'm now coming up to the 9 week mark I'm pretty sure and had a follow up appointment with my surgeon who told me NO BENDING NO LIFTING OR NO TWISTING for 6 MONTHS. I work part time in a deli so I now have to look for another job on light duties (I will be near unemployable) BUT I would never ever look back. This surgery has helped me in so many ways, yes I was incapable of so much for quite a while but I had the support. I hated being waited on hand and foot and feeling disabled :/ if anyone is second guessing this surgery - don't :)
  • I had a L4/L5 microdiscectomy on July 9, 2014. Recovery has been a bit slow but even my worst day post-surgery has been far better than pretty much any day before the surgery. For the first month I was quite sore but powered through the walking, stretching, and nerve gliding exercises. Slowly I ramped up the walking to perhaps 4 or 5 km/day. For the second month I was able to ramp up the walking to 10 to 20 km/day and ramp up the speed to 5 or 6 km/h (a very brisk walk). Most of my leg pain went away but I still had occasional aches in the legs, perhaps at 10 to 20% of the intensity of that pre-surgery. This has improved quite a bit, the leg pain varies between totally gone and 10% of the pre-surgery intensity. Leg strength has returned to where I don't get foot drop but this took about 4 months - I used to get a stumble maybe every 100 or 150 steps. I'm starting to feel a bit stronger with the physiotherapy. I do get tingling in my feet and sometimes up the legs but again this is nothing compared with the pre-surgery pain. Nerve glides now do cause little nerve 'tickles' that were not there before and I have found my feet to be sensitive again - like they used to be. The surgeon said that 'adult relations' would be ok after a couple weeks but I don't think I'd attempt it even yet.

I took a month off of work and I take frequent walking and stretching/nerve glide breaks during the work day. My back and gluteus muscles do ache a bit, but probably they are muscular aches brought on by eight months of atrophy followed by a fairly rapid increase in exercises.

So far so good, but the recovery is still quite early. I am hopeful that it will go ok.
  • advertisement
  • Just had a discectomy last week . Four small incisions in my lower back . I told the Dr and nurses I could not take Vikator or most any other pain pills before surgery. They make me extremely sick so I settle for over the counter asprin. I am having the exact same pain in the same area's of my tail bone as I was before the surgery. The incisions on my back don't hurt much at all . I feel the same as before the discectomy . Is this normal ? If this feeling is normal , how long does it take to start feeling normal again . I have had two straight years of pain with a heriated disk. I was really hoping this surgery would be the end of the pain ! Any advice I would surely be thankful for !
  • edoniseedonis Posts: 1
    edited 03/25/2015 - 1:40 PM
    Your comments are really very appreciated as I will have my surgery in a week, a whole bank of advises and experience sharing. I have a 9mm x 13mm herniation on my S1-L5, I have a permanent pain on my lower back now and leg pain, comes and goes, I cannot walk long distances as I will suffer during sleep time, or either when doing minor bending or trying to lift anything. I will post my experience after my surgery.
  • My advice to anyone on this thread contemplating a discectomy.....go for it. There are risks and chances for complications, but I believe the reward far outweighs the risk. I had 2 years of pain free bliss, but have since re injured the area. Now im waiting for a fusion of the same area.

After your surgery, dont overdo anything. If your job is pressuring you, let them read the comments on this site. I know how it feels to get blank stares of disbelief when you tell someone how much pain youre in. Seems people think if theres no blood, theres no pain. Stick with the doctors and surgeons follow up/recovery program. Dont miss a day of physio. And when the pain is gone, remember youre still healing, so dont go entering in any powerlifting competitions.

Take your time, keep positive, enjoy the post surgery morphine doses...:-) Stretch your back and legs often and walk as much as you can once your physiotherapist or whoever gives you the goahead.

Good luck everyone!
  • mncantu1496mmncantu1496 Posts: 3
    edited 01/13/2016 - 6:51 AM
    brian i had a discectomy this past nov. 25th of 2015, and i am still experiencing sciatic nerve pain. i know you went through a similar surgery. did you also feel this kind of discomfort after your surgery. it has been 6 weeks since my surgery.

this is an old thread, brian mccarthy has not been on the forum for more than 4 years

i suggest you creating a new thread
    for helpful information please click on link
    welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator

• comatone said:

My advice to anyone on this thread contemplating a discectomy.....go for it. There are risks and chances for complications, but I believe the reward far outweighs the risk. I had 2 years of pain free bliss, but have since re injured the area. Now im waiting for a fusion of the same area.

After your surgery, dont overdo anything. If your job is pressuring you, let them read the comments on this site. I know how it feels to get blank stares of disbelief when you tell someone how much pain youre in. Seems people think if theres no blood, theres no pain. Stick with the doctors and surgeons follow up/recovery program. Dont miss a day of physio. And when the pain is gone, remember youre still healing, so dont go entering in any powerlifting competitions.

Take your time, keep positive, enjoy the post surgery morphine doses...:-) Stretch your back and legs often and walk as much as you can once your physiotherapist or whoever gives you the goahead.

Good luck everyone!

Hey, how are you feeling now that you went for the second surgery or procedure?  I had a discectomy 3 months ago and there are days where I feel a lot of discomfort.  Any advice?  How long did it take you to fully recover???
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.