Meet Dr. Steven J. Barrer, MD
Dr. Barrer is a board-certified and fellowship-trained neurosurgeon with Abington - Jefferson Health.
His areas of interest include spinal stenosis, spinal fusion, spinal cord tumors, pediatric neurosurgery, carpal tunnel, kyphoplasty, sports medicine, and more.
Dr. Barrer at a Glance
- Dr. Barrer is the director of the Neurosciences Institute at Abington Hospital, and has been recognized in Philadelphia Magazine’s “Top Docs” issue several years in a row.
- He has published numerous papers, including research on lumbar disc decompression.
Discuss your options for spine care with Dr. Barrer.
Dr. Barrer is a member of Abington - Jefferson Health.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Steven J. Barrer, MD Can Help You
- Brain Tumors
- Brain and Spinal Tumors
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Neuropathic Pain
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Sciatica / Radiculopathy
- Spinal Stenosis
- Thoracic Spinal Disorders
- Artificial Disc Replacement
- Concussion Management
- Lower Back Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Pain Pumps
- Pediatric Care
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Spinal Fusion
- Sports Medicine
- Upper Back Surgery
What Patients are Saying About Dr. Steven J. Barrer, MD
“As soon as I put my foot on the floor to stand [post-surgery], I realized all of my pain was gone. Since that moment, I have had no pain whatsoever. Without this surgery, I would be in a wheelchair now.... You can’t go on in constant agony. I’m so thankful to Dr. Barrer for his skill in finding and fixing the source of my pain. I’ve been telling everyone I know about my results.”— Joan
“After spinal surgery, I was able to do what I’ve wanted to do for 30 years – hike in the Himalayas!”— Linda
“When I woke up [from surgery], I got out of bed and used the walker right away, and walked up and down the floor three times. A nurse asked why I was crying – I told her it was happy tears. I had instant relief from the unbearable pain that had gone up and down my legs, my whole back. I have since told three people who are having similar pain to have the surgery – you don’t have to live like that. Get relief now!”— Edwin
“At every step of the way, from the neurologist’s office to the ETC to my operation and inpatient stay, I was treated with compassion and empathy. I always felt I had chosen the right place for my care.”— Melissa
Accolades for Dr. Steven J. Barrer, MD
- Chief, Neurosurgery Division, Abington Memorial Hospital
- Director, Neurosciences Institute, Abington Memorial Hospital
- Medical Director, Concussion Program, Abington Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship, Pediatric Neurosurgery - The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Magazine's Top Doctor Award: 2010 - 2013
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Board Certified, American Board of Neurological Surgery
Office Information for Dr. Steven J. Barrer, MD
Neurosurgical Associates of Abington - Jefferson Health
2510 Maryland Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
Monday: 8:00 - 5:00
Tuesday: 8:00 - 5:00
Wednesday: 8:00 - 5:00
Thursday 8:00 - 5:00
Friday: 8:00 - 5:00
- Many Insurance Plans Accepted; Call to Verify
Profile last updated: March 26, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.